My tortoise is being werid.

RussianTort44

My tortoise has been eating dirt, the wood log while she has food in her food fowl for her. i dont know why, im getting worried...

crimson_lotus

10 Year Member!
Location (City and/or State)
Massachusetts
My tortoise used to eat rocks...they usually eat this stuff if there is a lack of minerals in their diet. I bought Minerall that I sprinkle on top of her food twice a week and replaced her substrate so there were no more little rocks for her to eat.

naturalman91

5 Year Member
Medford Oregon
as previously stated eating dirt/rocks is a sign they're lacking some sort of mineral in they're diet and trying to make up for it which could lead to becoming impacted i'm not sure of the name of the stuff but i also think it's just called minerall to as post above me said

Carol S

10 Year Member!
Alta Loma, CA
My Desert Tortoises were eating dirt and I bought some Miner-All. I sprinkle it on their food once a week and they stopped eating dirt. They make it for inside or outside tortoises (the inside kind has D3 in it whereas the outside one does not contain D3). I buy mine from Petmountain.com.

crimson_lotus

10 Year Member!
Massachusetts
Soaks are good, you should keep it up as it keeps them hydrated and lessens the risk of impaction, but a soak isn't going to stop him from eating dirt

RussianTort44

my mom fed my tortoise watermelon..she ate 3 little bites only. yes shes a russian tortoise and im scared she might get toxic in her D;

Tom

The Dog Trainer
10 Year Member!
Platinum Tortoise Club
Southern California
The fruit can set their stomach and cause them to eat wired stuff. MinerAll might still help.

What do you normally feed? I see this most often in tortoises that are eating mostly grocery store foods and lettuces.

spud's_mum

United Kingdom
Does she know the food is there? As mine eats almost anything like this when he is hungry, As soon as he notices the food though, he stops

Tom

The Dog Trainer
10 Year Member!
Platinum Tortoise Club
Southern California
this is the first time watermelon..i feed her veggis

I'm sorry. "Veggie" is a bit too vague. What kind?

These guys are broadleaf weed eaters. They need a diet that is hi in fiber and that has a high calcium to phosphorous ratio. Grocery store veggies tend to be weak in both areas. Sounds like you might need more weeds, leaves, flowers and succulents in the diet.

Also, what sort of lighting are you using? Infrared bulbs? Colored lights for night time? Any UV bulbs?

Gillian M

5 Year Member
Jordan
A warm welcome to the :tort: forum! And I sincerely hope to hear that your tort is eating better....soon. Meanwhile, good luck!

ZEROPILOT

REDFOOT WRANGLER
Tortoise Club
5 Year Member
Platinum Tortoise Club
South Eastern Florida (U.S.A.)/Rock Hill S.C.
Mine eat rocks if there is no cuddlebone.
The issue is with impaction. Not with the composition of the rock or the sand. The rocks don't get digested and may or may not get passed normally.