My tortoise does not want to eat tortoise pellets

wellington

10 Year Member!
Tortoise Club
Location (City and/or State)
Chicago, Illinois, USA
Can't help without knowing what species, age, size.
Post pictures of both tortoise and enclosure along with temps and we can help tweak anything that might be off.

LudusPlus

Sheffield
Your enclosure looks strange. Aside from the size, does your tort not have a water bowl? And do you have correct lighting? They won't eat/benefit from eating without hydration, UVB and suitable overall/basking temps.

I don't know about leopards but please check if he can eat vegetables before feeding them. A lot of species shouldn't.

Tom

The Dog Trainer
10 Year Member!
Platinum Tortoise Club
Southern California
Stigmochelys pardalis
"Not in America". That's cute, but not helpful. It would help to know where you are. Much advice is climate based.

Your enclosure is too small, too dry, you've got the wrong substrate, cardboard isn't suitable for hides, open tops don't work, and we need to know what heating and lighting you are using.

Tortoises eat what they have eaten before. If you want to feed them a new item, like pellets, you have to take the time to slowly introduce it correctly. What type of pellets are you trying to get the tortoise to eat?

Leopard tortoises should be eating a wide variety of broadleaf weeds and leaves. Opuntia pads are good too,

Start here and look for the leopard care sheet near the bottom. Its explains the diet, housing, heating and lighting, etc...

CaoAndMolar

not in america
"Not in America". That's cute, but not helpful. It would help to know where you are. Much advice is climate based.

Your enclosure is too small, too dry, you've got the wrong substrate, cardboard isn't suitable for hides, open tops don't work, and we need to know what heating and lighting you are using.

Tortoises eat what they have eaten before. If you want to feed them a new item, like pellets, you have to take the time to slowly introduce it correctly. What type of pellets are you trying to get the tortoise to eat?

Leopard tortoises should be eating a wide variety of broadleaf weeds and leaves. Opuntia pads are good too,

Start here and look for the leopard care sheet near the bottom. Its explains the diet, housing, heating and lighting, etc...
When I adopted my tortoise, the petshop keeper told me to use a Full spectrum solar lamp Nomoy pet 80 watt 220 volt. In the first week, it eats pellets and some vegetables. tomatoes, beansprout, and I prepared some opuntia too. after a few days, it started to refuse to eat pellets. I spent many hours every day waiting for it to eat, poo, sunbathing because worrying it has MBD and Stoneblader.

Thank you for your response, I think I still need to learn a lot about tortoises, so I'm going to read more of your references.

Attachments

• light.png
    light.png
    89.5 KB · Views: 1
  • fumak.png
    fumak.png
    118 KB · Views: 1

TammyJ

5 Year Member
Jamaica
You have come to the right place for the best help! Pretty little tortoise.