My tortoise 😃

mojo_1

Location (City and/or State)
Saint Clairsville OH
For people I do understand...but an animal???? It's just so much more bs
Indeed! And I don't forsee a rise of the planet of the tortoises situation happening in our life time. As long as we keep them away from the toxic ooze we should be safe as well.

Shelled

Oxfordshire
Since you live in the UAE, do you have the possibility to keep it outside? Save from cats, rats and birds, and with shady spots and sun. And plenty places to hide, preferably vegetation, which keeps the humidity higher.

Alex and the Redfoot

Cyprus
Since you live in the UAE, do you have the possibility to keep it outside? Save from cats, rats and birds, and with shady spots and sun. And plenty places to hide, preferably vegetation, which keeps the humidity higher.
Outside keeping is not recommended for baby tortoises. They need fairly constant controlled conditions to grow healthy (high humidity and low temperature difference). And I'm not sure that summer temperatures suitable even for adults. Right now it is 80F/60F (day/night) in December, imagine what happens in summer.

However, 1-2 hours of sunbathing might work with proper outdoor setup (and we won't need artificial UVB source indoors).

Cowgirl

Platinum Tortoise Club
Sacramento, California
I have also been doing my research on raising an Egyptian. There are some good Youtube videos and Podcasts. I would search for the ones interviewing Ralph Till. There are also some videos that I would not recommend so maybe just listen and watch the ones with Ralph. He has been successfully raising these tortoises for a very long time.

Tom

The Dog Trainer
10 Year Member!
Platinum Tortoise Club
Southern California
I have also been doing my research on raising an Egyptian. There are some good Youtube videos and Podcasts. I would search for the ones interviewing Ralph Till. There are also some videos that I would not recommend so maybe just listen and watch the ones with Ralph. He has been successfully raising these tortoises for a very long time.
I don't know Ralph, but YT has been very disappointing for every other species. Do Ralph's babies grow smooth? Does he advocate intentional slow growth?