My tortoise 😃

mayo

Location (City and/or State)
Deez Nuts Avenue
They’re an Egyptian Tortoise. I don’t know they’re gender or age, but I named them Squirtle. I’m currently building them a tortoise table, any tips or concerns?

Thanks 😊

Attachments

• image.jpg
    image.jpg
    975 KB · Views: 7
  • image.jpg
    image.jpg
    1.3 MB · Views: 8

wellington

10 Year Member!
Tortoise Club
Chicago, Illinois, USA
You need to do better by it right now or it won't survive long!
It needs light, uvb, heat, substrate and likely not a table enclosure but a closed chamber enclosure.
Hopefully @Kapidolo Farms or @TeamZissou can give advice on all that is needed.

mayo

Deez Nuts Avenue
Can you recommend a heatlamp? Also, what do I use as substrate?

EDIT: I googled and got sand for the substrate, which is pretty lucky considering I live in a desert type area...

Last edited:

Maggie3fan

5 Year Member
PacificNorthWest
Can you recommend a heatlamp? Also, what do I use as substrate?

EDIT: I googled and got sand for the substrate, which is pretty lucky considering I live in a desert type area...
No! Sand is bad. Do not use sand, as it may cause impaction. You said "they" But I only see one? Use coir or find grade orchid bark.

Tom

The Dog Trainer
10 Year Member!
Platinum Tortoise Club
Southern California
I currently can't get a heat lamp, is it fine to keep it by the window?
No. There is no way to regulate that and it is likely to over heat the enclosure.

Where are you?

This tortoise need all the correct temperatures, hydration, lighting, humidity, and food, or it will not survive. Do not feed it fruit. That is not good for its digestive flora and fauna.

Read through these two threads at least twice if you want this tortoise to survive:

mayo

Deez Nuts Avenue
No. There is no way to regulate that and it is likely to over heat the enclosure.

Where are you?

This tortoise need all the correct temperatures, hydration, lighting, humidity, and food, or it will not survive. Do not feed it fruit. That is not good for its digestive flora and fauna.

Read through these two threads at least twice if you want this tortoise to survive:

I live in Sharjah, UAE

TammyJ

5 Year Member
Jamaica
Please read and carefully follow all the very important advice you have been given if you want this tortoise to live, and grow healthy!

Tom

The Dog Trainer
10 Year Member!
Platinum Tortoise Club
Southern California
I live in Sharjah, UAE
You should be able to find a lot of this on Amazon.com. Do they have that there? Many of these things can also be found at the hardware store.

mayo

Deez Nuts Avenue
You should be able to find a lot of this on Amazon.com. Do they have that there? Many of these things can also be found at the hardware store.
Of course we have amazon 😭

However, I don't have a hardware store near me.

mayo

Deez Nuts Avenue
I found this lamp that seems to be working (Squirtle wasn’t moving before I put it under the lamp).

Attachments

• image.jpg
    image.jpg
    1.2 MB · Views: 2

Tom

The Dog Trainer
10 Year Member!
Platinum Tortoise Club
Southern California
I found this lamp that seems to be working (Squirtle wasn’t moving before I put it under the lamp).
Squirtle needs to be in an enclosure with some damp substrate and the correct temperatures. That light is likely an LED, and it doesn't produce the necessary heat. Its also not nearly bright enough.

Where did you get this tortoise? Did it have adequate housing and heating there? Can you take it back temporarily until you have time to acquire and set up the necessary life support items and a proper enclosure?

Is there a garden center near you that sells plants and pots and soil and that sort of thing? You might find the needed clay saucers and some coco coir there.

mayo

Deez Nuts Avenue
Squirtle needs to be in an enclosure with some damp substrate and the correct temperatures. That light is likely an LED, and it doesn't produce the necessary heat. Its also not nearly bright enough.

Where did you get this tortoise? Did it have adequate housing and heating there? Can you take it back temporarily until you have time to acquire and set up the necessary life support items and a proper enclosure?

Is there a garden center near you that sells plants and pots and soil and that sort of thing? You might find the needed clay saucers and some coco coir there.
There's a garden center 24 minutes away from me.

Tom

The Dog Trainer
10 Year Member!
Platinum Tortoise Club
Southern California
There's a garden center 24 minutes away from me.
That's good. Try it out.

Also, don't run a humidifier in a tortoise enclosure. You can run it in the room, but don't have the mist blowing directly into the enclosure, especially with no heat.