MY RED FOOT TORQUE

Status
Not open for further replies.

iperez23

5 Year Member
Location (City and/or State)
Illinois
I PURCHASED MY RED FOOT FROM PETSMART ABOUT 2 MONTHS AGO AND HONESTLY HAVE NO IDEA ABOUT HER PAST AND UPBRINGING. I KNOW ONE THING FOR SURE...THIS IS SCARING ME. THIS IS THE 2ND TIME THAT SHE BLEEDS WHEN GOING TO THE BATHROOM. WHAT SHOULD I DO??? :/
this is what it looks like...

Attachments

• mail-7.jpeg
    mail-7.jpeg
    18.8 KB · Views: 64

LindaF

5 Year Member
Take her to a vet. Perhaps she has parasites/worms

iperez23

5 Year Member
Illinois
i live in NW suburbs in illinois and there is no vet around here for exotic animals...just cats and dogs...any other suggestions?

iperez23

5 Year Member
Illinois
HELP!!!

No idea what to do. no vet around here to take my red foot Torque to. This is the second time she bleeds when going to the bathroom in the past 2 months and im worried. Is it her diet? environment? medical issue?

Attachments

• mail-7.jpeg
    mail-7.jpeg
    18.8 KB · Views: 10

Laura

10 Year Member!
5 Year Member
Foothills above Sacramento CA
RE: HELP!!!

tell us more..
What is her diet, temps, enclosure type, how old, how long have you had her.
Any straining? Does she act normal > ?

iperez23

5 Year Member
Illinois
RE: HELP!!!

shes acting normal, continued eating. I just got her 2 months ago and am in the process of finishing her enclosure now (which i need help with too). She is my first tortoise. I bought her at petsmart and they didnt tell me how old she was because they didnt know. I feed her romaine lettuce, green leaf and red leaf lettuce, ive tried carrots but she doesnt like them. Ill give her an occasional apple slice or plantain. The first time she bled was after i introduced her to cactus pads (which she loved) and yes i took all the spines out. I stopped feeding it to her though because i was scared that was the reason she bled but now i have no idea what it is because i havent given her that since. Temperatures range from 80-70 (pretty average for now until i get her enclosure finshed up) and no straining. She poops regularly and its never really hard. is that normal too? her poop is like goo... :/ ugh

Yvonne G

Old Timer
TFO Admin
10 Year Member!
Platinum Tortoise Club
Clovis, CA
Hi iperez23:

Welcome to the forum!!

May we know your name?

Is it just the pink-colored urine that you're worried about? More than likely this is from whatever she's been eating. My guess is they were feeding her those colored pellets and the red colored ones have changed the color of her urine.

Sometimes if a tortoise eats a lot of dandelion the urine turns reddish brown.

I wouldn't be too worried about it, unless she changes her habits and starts to look and act sick.

jackrat

5 Year Member
Hamburg,AR
You don't need a special vet to have a fecal exam done. Put a sample in a ziplock bag the next time she poops,and bring it to the vet. It's inexpensive and doesn't take long. Their stools are normally soft and gooey. I don't think the cactus caused this. They eat it all the time in the wild. I would raise the temps up to the mid 80's and be sure to keep her hydrated.

HarleyK

5 Year Member
Sorry to hear this. You would probably want to continue doing the soaks (in warm water), which helps her poop in my experience. Like what jackrat said you would want to raise the temps a bit to the mid 80's.

Peacebone

5 Year Member
AZ
I have seen something like this before (from what it looks like in the picture). It can also be caused by dehydration I believe. So I would soak daily for 20-30 min. and make sure the humidity and temps are good, as said above. Like Yvonne said as long as the tortoise is continuing on acting normally (eating, drinking, active, ect.) it is more than likely fine. Keep us posted if anything progresses.

jason

5 Year Member
make sure he gets a couple days of fruit in his diet cant just be greens all the time red foots need fruit and animal protien ocasionaly read this care sheet http://www.turtletary.com/redfootcare.htm
alot of great info there

Status
Not open for further replies.