My one and a half yr old aldabra is ill

teenayoupi

hello people
Bulbul is my 1 1/2 yr old aldabra tortoise... and my first tortoise
2 days ago he started to go watery stool and had stopped eating
yesterday he vomited during the day... last night he pushed a loud cry
and then he dropped his head out
since then no response except today it got musky substance near its nose and has pulled his neck inside a bit
it is stone still
A friend ask me to let it a bit in the sun and let it in water on n off
I dont have any experienced with tortoise , I am really afraid to lost it
Its been two weeks I got it and its been everything to me
Please if anyone can help me
this is how it was last night ... today it had his neck inside

11050166_10205404781271323_3346196113882778602_n.jpg

Last edited by a moderator:

HLogic

5 Year Member
Location (City and/or State)
Florida, USA
Did you change the diet in the last week or so? Have you given it a new or unusual treat recently? Have you changed anything in its habitat (like substrate, hide, added plants)? What are you feeding it?

teenayoupi

Did you change the diet in the last week or so? Have you given it a new or unusual treat recently? Have you changed anything in its habitat (like substrate, hide, added plants)? What are you feeding it?
Actually I dont have a green area, i let him in my school garden ..
when he started to stool too much I could see grass in it

A friend told me that it is the diet
Since i got it
I gave it a variety of fruits and leafy things
I didnt really know what to do
I am sorry
I should have document myself before i get it
:(

HLogic

5 Year Member
Florida, USA
I suspect (without evidence, of course) that something in the school garden was used that is making it ill. Pesticides are the first thing that comes to mind...

Maybe @ALDABRAMAN can be of assistance...

Last edited:

teenayoupi

I suspect (without evidence, of course) that something in the school garden was used that is making it ill. Pesticides are the first thing that comes to mind...

no no pesticide there but they cut down the grass and it went in the dry grasses itself the other day ..
and I gave it banana and orange after thhat

HLogic

5 Year Member
Florida, USA
no no pesticide there but they cut down the grass and it went in the dry grasses itself the other day ..
and I gave it banana and orange after thhat

The banana & orange may be the problem especially if it is not accustomed to them. Let's see what A-man has to say...

M

Maggie Cummings

Our experts are good, but that sounds like a pretty sick animal, and with all due respect, you didn't seem to research his diet and housing needs. Can you take him to an exotic s Vet? Keep us posted and good luck with him. @ALDABRAMAN is your best hope, or @yvonne another Aldabra expert.....

teenayoupi

Our experts are good, but that sounds like a pretty sick animal, and with all due respect, you didn't seem to research his diet and housing needs. Can you take him to an exotic s Vet? Keep us posted and good luck with him. @ALDABRAMAN is your best hope, or @yvonne another Aldabra expert.....

Thank you I ll do the necessary

tortdad

5 Year Member
NW Houston TX
Sounds like your guy has an upper respiratory infection. So you have any reptile vets near you?

wellington

10 Year Member!
Tortoise Club
Chicago, Illinois, USA
Stop with the fruit for now and then only very sparingly in the future, like maybe a very small amount once a month or never, they don't really need it. His diet needs to be greatly improved. Grasses, hay orchard or alfalfa, Mazuri tortoise diet if you can get it, OPTUNIA cactus pads. Keep,his temps for now at 85 incase it is an URI. Make sure you soak him every day in warm water for 20-30 minutes, keep the water warm the whole time. This is quite the tortoise to get for your first one. There is not a lot of research out there, but our own Aldabras owners can help with most if not all your questions. Until things go really bad, keep doing research on here so you have a better idea of how to care for him. If you do have a good reptile vet, that may be your best first move. Hopefully the others that were alert to this thread can also help

teenayoupi

Stop with the fruit for now and then only very sparingly in the future, like maybe a very small amount once a month or never, they don't really need it. His diet needs to be greatly improved. Grasses, hay orchard or alfalfa, Mazuri tortoise diet if you can get it, OPTUNIA cactus pads. Keep,his temps for now at 85 incase it is an URI. Make sure you soak him every day in warm water for 20-30 minutes, keep the water warm the whole time. This is quite the tortoise to get for your first one. There is not a lot of research out there, but our own Aldabras owners can help with most if not all your questions. Until things go really bad, keep doing research on here so you have a better idea of how to care for him. If you do have a good reptile vet, that may be your best first move. Hopefully the others that were alert to this thread can also help
ok keeping it warm
I ll make a list for the diet
thanks Wellington

Yvonne G

Old Timer
TFO Admin
10 Year Member!
Platinum Tortoise Club
Clovis, CA
Do you have your tortoise set up in a regular habitat? he needs to be outside where he can graze on grasses and weeds. Fruit should not be fed as a steady diet, only as an occasional treat. Aldabra tortoises are mainly grazers and browsers that feed on grasses and woody plants. They have also been found feeding on dry grasses and dead leaves. However, they will eat meat when it is available and possibly even eat the carcasses of dead tortoises. They may also eat feces. You can feed dark, leafy greens and hay.

You're going to lose this tortoise if you don't make drastic changes right away. He needs to be kept warm and he needs to be in the sun where he can graze on clean grasses and weeds.

Last edited:

Grandpa Turtle 144

5 Year Member
Hello and welcome to the TFO fromAZ, USA . Their isn't many people that work with those torts so please listen to the ones that are helping you they are great ! Good luck !

teenayoupi

Do you have your tortoise set up in a regular habitat? he needs to be outside where he can graze on grasses and weeds. Fruit should not be fed as a steady diet, only as an occasional treat. Aldabra tortoises are mainly grazers and browsers that feed on grasses and woody plants. They have also been found feeding on dry grasses and dead leaves. However, they will eat meat when it is available and possibly even eat the carcasses of dead tortoises. They may also eat feces. You can feed dark, leafy greens and hay.

You're going to lose this tortoise if you don't make drastic changes right away. He needs to be kept warm and he needs to be in the sun where he can graze on clean grasses and weeds.
I am starting to work on the changes right away. Thank you for the advice

teenayoupi

Goodmorning people
Last night I gave bulbul its bath and warm it up with bulb taking the precaution its not over heated. This morning it move its neck and has openits eyes.
Got a rendez vous at the vet
Good sSaturday people.
Raining on my island today :)

DutchieAmanda

5 Year Member
Netherlands
Where are you from? And could you show pictures of his enclosure where he lives?
It's a cute tort, I love aldabra's. Hope the vet can help you and the tort will get well soon!