My New Tortoise

Status
Not open for further replies.

tignish99

5 Year Member
Hello:

This is our new cherry-head tortoise. I am a newbie at tortoise-ownership. We just purchased her today after months of research and preparation. She is a cherry-head. We are somewhat sure it is a "her" according to a couple of websites that show pictures. I am sure I will have plenty of questions as I begin my servitude as a tortoise servant :D. So far she is eating well and curious about her enclosure. 2013-05-25 20.19.39.jpg 2013-05-25 20.20.12.jpg

Last edited by a moderator:

Jacqui

Wanna be raiser of Lemon Drop tortoises
10 Year Member!
Location (City and/or State)
A Land Far Away...
Hi and welcome! What made you decide upon a redfoot?

tignish99

5 Year Member
Jacqui said:
Hi and welcome! What made you decide upon a redfoot?

Thank you for answering :)

Months and months of research before I finally settled on a cherryhead :D. Honestly, we have seen tens and tens of tortoises over the last few months redfoot and other types and none were the right match. Not that there was anything wrong with them, but they were just not for us. I am not sure how to explain it. We saw her today and she was the one. We just knew she was "the one."

Aside from that, as a cherryhead she will be the perfect size for us. Not too big and not too small. I like that they do not hibernate so I do not have to worry about the whole worry whether or not to hibernate controversy. I like that they eat a variety of food including the odd worm, so I can sneak some food away from our bearded dragon. I enjoy watching my pets eat and enjoy their food. Their personalities seem sweet and curious. She does not mind being handled and seems to like having hear head rubbed, even by us, who are still complete strangers to her. She was put in her enclosure and immediately explored and ate a whole bunch of greens, so I am pretty sure she was comfortable. Lastly, I think they are very beautiful little tortoises.

mike taylor

10 Year Member!
Platinum Tortoise Club
Welcome,nice lookin red foot.

Sent from my C771 using TortForum mobile app

tignish99

5 Year Member
I must ask...we were told it is a cherry-head. The red on the head is a bit redder than the picture makes it seem. Were they incorrect? Is it a red-foot? There pictures on the web show babies that look very alike. It is also not clear whether cherries and redfoots are the same species or not.

Thank you

tignish99

5 Year Member
Here is a picture of the plastron. 2013-05-25 23.42.50.jpg Googling a bit, it seems there is quite a bit of confusion between a cherryhead and a redfoot.

Last edited by a moderator:
Status
Not open for further replies.