Not open for further replies.

Yvonne G

Old Timer
TFO Admin
10 Year Member!
Platinum Tortoise Club
Location (City and/or State)
Clovis, CA
Generally speaking, my tortoises go into their houses at night all by themselves. But those pesky Manouria just don't seem to care if its getting dark and cold. They sometimes have to be picked up and carried to their house at night.

So I did a little window shopping online to see what I could buy that would make it easier for me (than using the wheel barrow) to get them to their shed at night. The wheelbarrow won't fit through the doorway, so I have to pick them up, put them in the barrow, wheel it over to their shed, pick them up again and carry them the last 10' or so to the shed.

I found this neat little Gorilla Wagon at Home Depot for around $55. It has a tilt bed. Now all I have to do is put them into the wagon and pull it over to the shed,through the doorway and tilt them out of it!!

03-02-12a.jpg

03-02-12b.jpg

Jacob

5 Year Member
California
Thats great!
Those are heavy duty, i used to have one...
They work all kinds of duties for you.

Jacqui

Wanna be raiser of Lemon Drop tortoises
10 Year Member!
A Land Far Away...
So that's the one you ended up getting. Like I said, I had looked at several but not sure if one was that exact model. The one so far that I am liking the most was at Ace Hardware. I thought about asking if I could take it home and do a tortoise test on it. :D I am not a big fan of my wheelbarrow. I feel like I lack control with it over my bumpy terrain.

Yvonne G

Old Timer
TFO Admin
10 Year Member!
Platinum Tortoise Club
Clovis, CA
Actually the one I went to the store to buy was made out of steel mesh and cost about $30 more. They were out of stock and this one looked pretty good.

GBtortoises

10 Year Member!
The Catskill Mountains of New York State
What you should do Yvonne is teach the largest one to pull the cart with the others one's in it! Maybe the old "carrot on a stick" dangling out in front! LOL

I have that same cart that I carry weeds and straw around in when working in the tortoise enclosures. I may have even trucked a few tortoises around in it too, but nothing as big as your Bumese Browns!

dmmj

The member formerly known as captain awesome
10 Year Member!
CA
Maybe you should invest in a forklift or hydraulic lift?

Candy

10 Year Member!
Alhambra, CA
What a good buy Yvonne and it looks so easy to do. Nice job. :)

Terry Allan Hall

5 Year Member
The Republic O' Tejas
emysemys said:
Generally speaking, my tortoises go into their houses at night all by themselves. But those pesky Manouria just don't seem to care if its getting dark and cold. They sometimes have to be picked up and carried to their house at night.

So I did a little window shopping online to see what I could buy that would make it easier for me (than using the wheel barrow) to get them to their shed at night. The wheelbarrow won't fit through the doorway, so I have to pick them up, put them in the barrow, wheel it over to their shed, pick them up again and carry them the last 10' or so to the shed.

I found this neat little Gorilla Wagon at Home Depot for around $55. It has a tilt bed. Now all I have to do is put them into the wagon and pull it over to the shed,through the doorway and tilt them out of it!!

03-02-12a.jpg

03-02-12b.jpg

Ptolemy insisted that I find out how long it took your tortoises to train you to carry them around in a wagon?...I think he's up to something...

Jacqui

10 Year Member!
A Land Far Away...
GBtortoises said:
What you should do Yvonne is teach the largest one to pull the cart with the others one's in it! Maybe the old "carrot on a stick" dangling out in front! LOL

:D Sounds like a great idea to me! :D

mira_kaylee

5 Year Member
Mid-Missouri
I'm thankful that my only problem with moving Ayden will be how stubborn he is and now how big he is :D

dmmj

The member formerly known as captain awesome
10 Year Member!
CA
well good news on ayden, russians while very stubborn tortoises, are very small.

Yvonne G

Old Timer
TFO Admin
10 Year Member!
Platinum Tortoise Club
Clovis, CA
GBtortoises said:

What I'd really like to train them to do is walk into the wagon when I tilt it down. *****Gotta go now, I'm dreaming up harnesses for tortoises*****

Jacqui

10 Year Member!
A Land Far Away...
emysemys said:
GBtortoises said:

What I'd really like to train them to do is walk into the wagon when I tilt it down. *****Gotta go now, I'm dreaming up harnesses for tortoises*****

Over the clover and thru the lettuce, to the sulcata house we go. :D

Yvonne how about a nice hot red harness or a bright cheerful yellow one?

DesertGrandma

10 Year Member!
Arizona
That is a good idea, nice wagon. If you could rig up a pulley with a harness on it, you could raise the tortoise up to the level of the wagon and plop him into it. Where there's a will, there's a way!!!

tortoiselady

5 Year Member
S. CA
I should have asked for that for Valentine's Day! I guess I will need to wait until Mother's Day now. I love it - what a great idea.

Status
Not open for further replies.