my lovely herman

Status
Not open for further replies.

digger722

5 Year Member
Hi everyone, i need a bit of advice,
Digger hasn't pooped in almost 2 weeks, i have been giving him regular baths, he eats as normal (in fact when i let him out of his vivarium to run around the house he tries to eat almost everything, but im sure he cant still be hungry!!) He has been quite inactive the last few days, today i have had a heater on and he has been sat warming up next to it, but still isnt as active as normal. I have got him booked in to a vets for thursday as i thought it could be worms (he keeps kind of straining and now and again he seems to clentch his whole body :S ) he seems like he is in pain or at least sad. Everything i read says that if they have worms they dont eat, and i cant remember what he was like last yr when he had worms.
Sorry for the essay, im just really worried
Thanks
Sofia

JoesMum

10 Year Member!
Location (City and/or State)
Kent, South East England
Hello and welcome to TFO :)

There are a few things we need to know:
1. how long have you had Digger?
2. what is your setup like? Especially what substrate do you use?
3. What temperatures do you have: warm end, cool end, under the basking lamp and overnight minimum?
4. What are you feeding Digger? Have you changed anything?
5. How long do you soak Digger for? As he's constipated, his baths need to be a minimum half hour and I suggest 2-3 times daily.

My soaking tips are usually:
1. Soak first thing before your tort has warmed up properly to reduce escape attempts. (but as I suggest an evening soak too in your case)
2. Use a high sided bowl or box so your tort can't see out
3. Use enough warm (not hot) water to just come over your tort's plastron (undershell). Get the temperature right and your not-warmed-up tort is more likely to lounge and absorb the heat. Change the water if it gets too cool.
4. Soak for a good 20 minutes. Don't worry if you don't see him drink; torts can absorb water through the skin. The length of soak is important.
5. Your tort may wee and/or poop in the water - it's more likely to concern you than him. You can change the water if it's truly disgusting. Don't worry if your tort eats his poop; it's said to improve gut flora!
6. Feed straight after the soak. Joe is always hungriest straight after his.

Yvonne G

Old Timer
TFO Admin
10 Year Member!
Platinum Tortoise Club
Location (City and/or State)
Clovis, CA
Hi Sofia:

If, as you say, he will eat ANYTHING when he is out of his viv, then chances are pretty good he has eaten something that is blocking his intestines. If you see him straining and nothing is coming out, you should take him to a reptile vet to be sure he's not impacted.

Welcome to the Tortoise Forum!!

May we know appx. where in the world you are?

Status
Not open for further replies.