My Herman tortoise seems very ill?

JonathanBrown95

Hi,

Two days ago my Herman tortoise (Who I've had for 8-9 years) became ill it seems (so I think.) He has stopped eating, and when he does try to bite some food he can barely find the strength to open his mouth. He also has very lifeless limbs, especially when picked up, he just lets them hang. He rarely moves now, looking very tired all the time. He was in the conservatory when I saw him like this, on a rather sunny day. I have a sinking feeling it's heatstroke.

I've tried soaking him in water and he still drinks when in, but after he still seems the same.

I would love some advice as I'm really worried about him. Is this any obvious signs of anything?

kathyth

10 Year Member!
Location (City and/or State)
Beaumont, CA.
Personally, I would take him to a reptile vet. I would increase temps in the enclosure in the meantime. Min of 85 and up.
I would keep soaking him too. May e add some baby carrot food to the warm soaks, so he gets vitamins.

Jlant85

5 Year Member
California
Just like @kathyt said, take to the vet! for the mean time, you can always do the baby food soak so they can get some nutrient in their bodies.

Yvonne G

Old Timer
TFO Admin
10 Year Member!
Platinum Tortoise Club
Clovis, CA
What a sad note to welcome you to our forum on. Heat stroke usually presents with a foaming mouth, however, because he was in the conservatory, you may be correct. So put him into a shallow tub of luke-warm water and let him sit in there for about a half hour. Make sure the water doesn't cover his nose, since he seems weak to hold up his head.

Let us know how he is.

474158gy04azrh2x.gif

kimber_lee_314

10 Year Member!
So Cal
Yes - get him to a vet asap. When they get limp like that it is serious. Please keep us updated on his progress.

JonathanBrown95

Thank you all for the advice, very helpful. Will see how he gets on tomorrow, he's had a little bit of movement in the last hour. Will give him a strawberry as a treat tomorrow to try get him to start eating again.

ascott

10 Year Member!
Apple Valley, California
What type of conservatory does he live in? I mean, is the entire area sun or is there areas that allow for the tort to cool down/gain access to soil?

JonathanBrown95

I'm sorry to say guys, but I came home this morning and found him sadly passed away, he must of died over night sadly.

He was my second tortoise, I still have my first, who is a Horsefield. It's such a shame, I really loved the little guy, had him since he was 1 year old. Going to bury him in the garden later, I can't bring myself to just put him in the trash like some other people suggest to do.