My Leopard tortoise's sleep a lot

Status
Not open for further replies.

hacksaw

5 Year Member
[/size][size=medium]We have two Leopard tortoises about 8 months old. They sleep almost all day. I need to know if that is normal. We feed them a mixture of vegetables which include lettuce and hibiscus leaves. We keep the water in their dish fresh and have two areas they can roam around in. My wife bathes them in the bathroom sink once a week. I have a heat lamp, and two UV lamps. The temp usually is around 90 degrees. Attached is a picture of where they live. I want to make sure that we are doing everything correctly.

Attachments

• tortoise home.jpg
    tortoise home.jpg
    168.9 KB · Views: 110

gieseygirly

5 Year Member
Location (City and/or State)
Ohio
I think once a week is not enough soaking. The could be dehydrated. Also, decent setup, but it looks far too dry and really boring for them. Add some fake plants. Maybe add a large rock or two that they can't see around - that usually makes them curious and they want to see what's on the other side. Are you using a bulb that provides UVB? UVB is critical to their health. That's just what I can point out, but I am by no means an expert. I'm sure someone will provide Tom's threads. I follow his advice as closely as possible. Good luck on improvements :)

wellington

10 Year Member!
Tortoise Club
Chicago, Illinois, USA
Every day they should be soaked in warm water for 20-30 minutes. The enclosure should be 80 with a 80% humidity. The basking spot should be 95+. Greens should be fed like spring mix, hibiscus, dandelion, mulberry, endive, mustard greens, kale. Just to name a few. Read Toms threads below in my post for raising leopards and the sulcata thread applies also.

EchoTheLeoTort

5 Year Member
United States
read up on Tom's threads. Try and build yourself and the torts a closed chamber. would really benefit them. You'll see a lot more improvement and movement if you build one or buy one. search closed chambers on the forum and you'll find examples. Really easy to keep heat and humidity up that way, makes your torts grow smooth, and you can add plants and other things as well to make it look "cool".

shanu303

5 Year Member
India
Hello and Welcome to TFO!! :) all the great advice has already been given :)

NeuroNaka

10 Year Member!
Los Angeles, CA
Hello and welcome. I would remove the bark from one of the bins and replace it with a mix of top soil and sand (2:1). This mix hold moisture much better, and will allow them to actually burrow. Get a spray bottle and mist the substrate every morning and night to keep it nice and moist. I recommend buying some seed mix from www.sulcatafood.com and growing your own food to mix in with the lettuce and hibiscus leaves. The seeds grow like wildfire; I grow patches of them in old Ziploc tupperware containers. With daily watering, it takes only a week to get nice, lush greens which my leopards love. Torts need a lot of fiber, and the lettuce is mostly water, so I would only feed them lettuce once a week. Collard greens is a better option. As everyone else said, check out Tom's threads on Leopards. There's a ton of info on them.

Status
Not open for further replies.