My Introduction

PenskeFIle

Location (City and/or State)
Central Texas, near Austin
Hi Everyone, I am the proud father of a 13-year old boy who has kept two tortoises for about the past three years.

One is a Russian named "Edward" and the other is (supposed to be) a Greek named Apollo. In the photos below, you can see each. Edward is the darker tort and Apollo is slightly lighter and slightly smaller.

We have kept the two living together during that time, which I see from many comments here is not the recommended approach. I've never seen any bad behaviors from either however, but I guess I need to trust the judgement of others who have more experience.

The two have lived together in a large glass terrarium with a reptile bark substrate and UV lighting for most of that time. We have had a couple outdoor pens also however and they've gotten a lot of outdoor time, mostly day-only. This year however, they have spent most of their time outdoors since the spring. We live in Central Texas, so the weather is pretty amenable to year round outdoor living for them. It's been a very unseasonably wet time recently (literally all-time record recorded rainfall) so they've come back inside when its been very wet.

My goal is to build them a new and improved outdoor habitat incorporating all of the best practices I see on this site and other resources. A second goal is to grow ourselves as much of their food as we can. I know they are getting too much lettuce in their diet and I'm trying to get my son to mix it up more with carrots, cucumber, greens and the occasional bit of fruit. We have not done a good job of keeping a calcium bone or sprinkling their food with calcium, but have started up again recently

My other goal is to take on an adopted Sulcata. While the Wiki article on Sulcata's claims that rescue facilities are full and unable to accept more, I've not been successful in finding any that are ready for adoption.

Below are pictures on the two. I'm interested in any observations or feedback on their appearance.

IMG_1035.2015-06-19_145249.JPG IMG_1029.2015-06-19_145120.JPG IMG_1027.2015-06-19_145107.JPG IMG_1026.2015-06-19_145025.JPG IMG_1023.2015-06-19_144933.JPG IMG_1025.2015-06-19_145010.JPG

Last edited by a moderator:

Grandpa Turtle 144

5 Year Member
Hello and welcome to the TFO from AZ. Keeping two torts together will cause bulling . And bulling can be as little as the way they look at each other , control of the water dish , food dish , and then to pushing , and worst . ImageUploadedByTortoise Forum1434727619.921493.jpg and the physical problems for the torts .

Yvonne G

Old Timer
TFO Admin
10 Year Member!
Platinum Tortoise Club
Clovis, CA
Hi, and welcome to the Forum!

It looks like the Greek may be female and the Russian is male. The russian needs his beak trimmed too. It's good that you're thinking of building an outdoor enclosure for them. Separate them. It's really best for all involved (peace of mind)

Tom

The Dog Trainer
10 Year Member!
Platinum Tortoise Club
Southern California
Hello and welcome.

You should definitely have separate enclosures for these guys, both inside and out. Species should never be mixed and tortoises should not be kept in pairs.

What sort of UV source are you using inside? The coil types can sometimes damage their eyes.

Here are some outdoor enclosure ideas:
http://www.tortoiseforum.org/threads/semi-underground-russian-box.98590/
http://www.tortoiseforum.org/threads/daisys-new-enclosure.28662/
http://www.tortoiseforum.org/thread...table-but-safe-outdoor-baby-enclosures.30683/

You should not be feeding fruit to these guys. Its not good for them. I typed this up for sulcatas, so ignore all the stuff about grass, as yours don't need it, but there is a list of all sorts of good stuff to feed that you can grow or find:
http://www.tortoiseforum.org/threads/for-those-who-have-a-young-sulcata.76744/

Jodie

5 Year Member
Spokane Valley WA
Welcome to the forum. There is a ton of information in each species specific section for these 2.

Tidgy's Dad

5 Year Member
Fes, Morocco
Hello, and a very warm welcome to Tortoise Forum to you, Edward and Apollo.
Read, learn, contribute, ask questions and have fun.