Introduction for Matt & Kate

Matt and Kate

Hi all,

Just joined and am introducing us. My 12 year old daughter Kate has been obsessed with turtles for some time now, and over the past 6 months we've decided to prepare for it. We've done a lot of research and waiting to make sure we were ready. We built a beautiful outdoor habitat, including electrical for a heat lamp and walls that go 8" below ground. I'll upload some pictures once I get them on the computer. We are now ready for our turtles.

Kate is one of the most responsible kids I know, with an amazing heart. We've had chickens for about 3 years and she takes amazing care of them without fail.

We are looking for one or two box turtles, leaning toward three-toed or Eastern, but are open to suggestions and adopting the one that needs us most. Particularly looking for advice on getting one or two (buddies? or is one too dominant?).

Thanks!

Matt and Kate
Riverside, CA

teresaf

5 Year Member
Location (City and/or State)
Port Charlotte, Florida
That's a big problem people come across here. Getting "pairs". One ends up dominant. You may not even notice it. Remember that video on YouTube where one tortoise was helping it's buddy flip back over off its back? Nope. Tort was just too stupid to realize his job was done so was trying to flip him again. You can tell by the way he follows "his friend" afterwards (aka chasing him away). Torts don't want or need friends. They are just competition for food and females. If you want more than one get 3 or 4. No more than 1 male. Even then you will run the risk of having to make another enclosure if they don't get along.

Yvonne G

Old Timer
TFO Admin
10 Year Member!
Platinum Tortoise Club
Clovis, CA
Normally the reply Teresaf gave would be right on, however, in my opinion, box turtles are the exception to the rule. They seem to be able to live peacefully together in pairs. ONce in a great while you'll get a real rowdy male who can't seem to get along with anyone, but usually pairs work ok. And your new enclosure looks great. Get it planted so there are many, many sight barriers. This gives a lone female enough hiding places to get out of his sight and rest up. But usually the males don't hound the females too bad.

cmacusa3

5 Year Member
Bixby
Normally the reply Teresaf gave would be right on, however, in my opinion, box turtles are the exception to the rule. They seem to be able to live peacefully together in pairs. ONce in a great while you'll get a real rowdy male who can't seem to get along with anyone, but usually pairs work ok. And your new enclosure looks great. Get it planted so there are many, many sight barriers. This gives a lone female enough hiding places to get out of his sight and rest up. But usually the males don't hound the females too bad.
I Agee, never had an issue when I've put box turtle pairs together.

Eric Phillips

5 Year Member
Ohio
Hello and Welcome! You can't go wrong with 3 toed box turtles. Yeah, there not the prettiest shells of the bunch nor are they the biggest, but they surely make up with it in personality! I loved Ornates and Easterns as a kid and enjoyed owning them in multiples, but my favorite group has been my 3 toeds. They do just fine together, although I would not house a ratio of more males to females if your getting a group. I love the beginnings of your outdoor enclosure! No matter what species you decide on, it looks like their going to have a wonderful home!

teresaf

5 Year Member
Port Charlotte, Florida

Learning something new every day! Thanks!

cmacusa3

5 Year Member
Bixby
Learning something new every day! Thanks!
It doesn't mean it can't happen, it's very possible to find a turtle that does have that attitude to bully. I think your advice is somewhat warranted that it should be something to look out for. Its just not as common. 3 toed are very calm and laid back, I've never handled one that's even tried to bite me. Ornates on the other hand can be a little more aggressive.