My horse field

v.cork

Hi everybody I am new to this I have a male horse field that I adopted last week first reptile I have had so still new to this, I live in England so the weather is pretty much unpredictable anybody have any tips for me to look after my beautiful boy ImageUploadedByTortoise Forum1486243044.021756.jpg

Tidgy's Dad

5 Year Member
Location (City and/or State)
Fes, Morocco
Hello, and a very warm welcome to Tortoise Forum from someone who used to live in chilly England. :)
First read http://www.tortoiseforum.org/threads/beginner-mistakes.45180/
and http://www.tortoiseforum.org/threads/russian-tortoise-care-sheet.80698/
Please ask if you have any questions.
Russians are a small species but require a lot of space. Walking also helps with their digestion.
They need a minimum enclosure area of 8 feet by 4 feet.
For substrate you need coco coir, orchid bark or cypress mulch, straw and wood shavings are too dry, not good for burrowing into and if moistened can become moldy and dangerous.

v.cork

Thank you for that it was very interesting to read, at the minute pebbles (my tortoise) has sawdust down and hay as I read online this was ok I will be changing it tomorrow now I know, he is having dandelions and other greenish weeds I bought today from a reptile shop, his beak is quite big and he doesn't like to be handled how can I make him more relaxed in our home ??

Tidgy's Dad

5 Year Member
Fes, Morocco
A good food guide I like is http://www.chelonia.org/Articles/nutrientanalysis.htm
The ones in bold are best.
You can carefully trim the beak with nail clippers or a dremmel if it's too long, if too big a vet may need to do it.
Can you post a clearer photo , but from what I can see, it does need a trim, yes, just a little at a time.
Hopefully, he will get more used to you in time when he sees you as his food god, but he may never get completely used to being handled. Patience is required and eventually he may get to like head rubs or shell rubs but possibly never being picked up.

Lyn W

5 Year Member
UK
Hi and welcome. I'm in the UK too. You will find lots of great advice here.
I wouldn't handle too much at the moment - maybe just for soaks I don't know how often that is recommended for horsefields/Russians but it will be on the caresheet or in the Russian section. Torts don't like change.
Your enclosure is a bit small for him but once that's sorted out with the correct substrate etc then just let him settle.
Don't let him wander around your home as that is full of hidden dangers for torts who will try to eat anything!
Will you be able to provide a larger outdoor enclosure for when the weather's warm enough?
The Enclosures section has some good ideas.
www.thetortoisetable.org.uk is also a good guide on tort safe plants for food and enclosures.

A cuttle fish bone in his enclosure (the sort you buy for bird cages but with the cage clips removed) will help him wear his beak down and provide a source of calcium, mine ignores his most of the time but I do catch him scraping at it sometimes.

Lyn W

5 Year Member
UK
Wonder if you can tell me which reptile shop you managed to buy dandies and weeds in, please?
Are they just a local store or nationwide?
I would love to be able to find winter dandies for my tort and I'm useless at growing them from seeds.

TammyJ

5 Year Member
Jamaica
Hello and all the best, you came to a good place!