My Greek Tortoise STILL Won't Eat...Please Please Help!

Gillian M

5 Year Member
Location (City and/or State)
Jordan
Hi everyone. I have posted a couple of threads lately asking for help as my Greek tort has refused to eat anything lately.

I was asked different questions by different members and I answered them. However, nothing whatsoever has changed.The issue is only getting more serious and worse: I've tried feeding my tort different types of vegetables and even bananas but....NO WAY WOULD IT EAT. I do know that with cold weather very near, torts tend to lose appetite, and that they can go on and on without food. But on the other hand, there is a limit to this isn't there? Imagine someone on a hunger strike: sooner or later he/she will fall ill-very ill-and most probably...die.

I soak my tort in warm water daily. Obviously it is unable to poop-it has had constipation for quite a long time. This is expected as it has not eaten but there is definitely something wrong. When in water my tort only extracts the white substance only..but is unable to poop.

Yesterday I tried to feed my tort Roman lettuce (as it's the only thing is used to eat). At a certain point it opened its mouth, was about to eat, and within less than a second....it changed its mind! I know this may sound incredible, but believe me this is exactly what happened.

Appreciate anyone's help as soon as possible.Thank you.

ascott

10 Year Member!
Apple Valley, California
Hi everyone. I have posted a couple of threads lately asking for help as my Greek tort has refused to eat anything lately.

I was asked different questions by different members and I answered them. However, nothing whatsoever has changed.The issue is only getting more serious and worse: I've tried feeding my tort different types of vegetables and even bananas but....NO WAY WOULD IT EAT. I do know that with cold weather very near, torts tend to lose appetite, and that they can go on and on without food. But on the other hand, there is a limit to this isn't there? Imagine someone on a hunger strike: sooner or later he/she will fall ill-very ill-and most probably...die.

I soak my tort in warm water daily. Obviously it is unable to poop-it has had constipation for quite a long time. This is expected as it has not eaten but there is definitely something wrong. When in water my tort only extracts the white substance only..but is unable to poop.

Yesterday I tried to feed my tort Roman lettuce (as it's the only thing is used to eat). At a certain point it opened its mouth, was about to eat, and within less than a second....it changed its mind! I know this may sound incredible, but believe me this is exactly what happened.

Appreciate anyone's help as soon as possible.Thank you.

What makes you think something is wrong? I mean, if the tort has not eaten for a while then it would not have anything to poop out? Did you ever find out what type of Greek you have and if that type brumates naturally---even for short period of time?

Gillian M

5 Year Member
Jordan
The fact isthat my tort has never behaved in such a strange matter since I bought it. This is what makes me think something is wrong.

The trouble is that it is not eating, you seem to have misunderstood me.

I'm afraid I still don't know what sort of a Greek tort it is. Moreover I'm still unable to post pics. I'm hoping to get the help I need from someone in the forum.

johnsonnboswell

5 Year Member
If you have a good vet, maybe you should take your tortoise in. If the problem is in the environment and there is something you can improve, the vet won't help you. The assumption will be that it's a medical problem rather than unsuitable aspects of habitat.

Not pooping is not a useful focus. Not eating is. I can't remember your specifics. Location, habitat, type of light & how long it runs, substrate - these are all critical aspects and affect activity and appetite.

Levi the Leopard

IXOYE
10 Year Member!
Southern Oregon
Don't compare a human hunger strike to a tortoise. Tortoises can go much longer without food.

It's hard to remember all your details but I think your main issue was improper housing and cool temps. I think you've had him 3 years....and maybe this year the inadequate housing conditions have finally caught up with him..? I'm trying to piece it together but it'd help a lot for you to re explain your set up in this new thread.

I know it's time consuming but it's helpful for us....and you want/need the help.

I also think you've been advised on what housing changes to make but you still ask for help. Have you made the changes yet?

Gillian M

5 Year Member
Jordan
If you have a good vet, maybe you should take your tortoise in. If the problem is in the environment and there is something you can improve, the vet won't help you. The assumption will be that it's a medical problem rather than unsuitable aspects of habitat.

Not pooping is not a useful focus. Not eating is. I can't remember your specifics. Location, habitat, type of light & how long it runs, substrate - these are all critical aspects and affect activity and appetite.
Thanks a lot your help.

Personally I don't think it's the environment, seeing to the fact that I've had it for more than 3.5 years, and nothing has changed in the way I or even my tort live.

I repeat: my tort has been living in the same conditions since I have had it and it has never "behaved" in such a strange way before, regardless of weather conditions and temperatre for example. I've a strong feeling that the problem is a medical one as you put it. The issue is that my tort has not been eating, Therefore I'm going to have to take my tort to a vet as soon as possible.

Receiving conflcting info is only complicating the matter rather than helping me! Someone told me that there isn't necessarily something wrong.

Thanks again your answer and your help.

puffy137

My Greeks brumate for over 3 months every winter, They can manage quite nicely its natural for them , He might now be getting more mature & needs some rest.

dmmj

The member formerly known as captain awesome
10 Year Member!
CA
Ok, if you have gone over husbandry,diet,temps, and all of that, and nothing has changed, then it is time I think for a vet visit. Remember the vet can do a hands on exam, do tests and such.

Gillian M

5 Year Member
Jordan
Don't compare a human hunger strike to a tortoise. Tortoises can go much longer without food.

It's hard to remember all your details but I think your main issue was improper housing and cool temps. I think you've had him 3 years....and maybe this year the inadequate housing conditions have finally caught up with him..? I'm trying to piece it together but it'd help a lot for you to re explain your set up in this new thread.

I know it's time consuming but it's helpful for us....and you want/need the help.

I also think you've been advised on what housing changes to make but you still ask for help. Have you made the changes yet?
NO....the matter has nothing to do with improper housing, or cool temperature. I keep the place very warm for my tort's sake. I have a central heating system, and used UVB light for my tort. Since I bought it it only ate Roman lettuce, I tried millions of other things but no way would it eat so I went back to Roman lettuce till my tort suddenly decided that it would NOT eat. I soak it daily in warm water, and when the weather permits I take it out for a "walk" in the sun as I live in a flat. WHAT ELSE AM I TO DO??

Gillian M

5 Year Member
Jordan
Ok, if you have gone over husbandry,diet,temps, and all of that, and nothing has changed, then it is time I think for a vet visit. Remember the vet can do a hands on exam, do tests and such.
I agree with you here. Sorry and very sorry to say this but... guess-work and receiving conflicting info won't ever solve this or any issue.

puffy137

I agree with you here. Sorry and very sorry to say this but... guess-work and receiving conflicting info won't ever solve this or any issue.
Gillian , you are taking this too much to heart , I 'm pretty sure the little chap is OK , he's doing his best to tell you that,

Kim444

5 Year Member
Can you tell us the exact temp of your enclosure?

Gillian M

5 Year Member
Jordan
Gillian , you are taking this too much to heart , I 'm pretty sure the little chap is OK , he's doing his best to tell you that,
You are 100% right Puff 137. The fact is that I'd never dealt with animals or had a pet before havig bought my cute tort. I must admit I had a lot of difficulty dealing with it at the beginning although I'd done a lot of research on the net and later joined the forum.

Let me tell you Puff 137....I know this has nothing to do with owning a tort, but I am a very sensitive person and receiving conflicting info keeps me worried all night long!

Thank you very much for your understanding and help both of which I very much appreciate.

puffy137

Thanks your message. About 26 degrees Celcius. Is is not warm enough?
My Greeks are used to surviving in temps of 48* c & over , Now we are down to 24-25 *c, most are now tucked up fast asleep , although some still make an appearance during the late morning when the sun hits their enclosure, its up to them . I reckon they have managed to thrive for millions of years without human intervention ,So they know better than me whats what. :D

Kim444

5 Year Member
Thanks your message. About 26 degrees Celcius. Is is not warm enough?
26 degrees should be the cool side, 35 degrees should be the basking side. He may be too cold to do much of anything. My cool side is at 27 degrees and my basking side is at 35 degrees.They like to be warm to eat, which is often why the eat so well after a nice warm soak, however if he's been cold for too long, then he'll stop eating altogether.

Try bumping up the heat to above mentioned temperatures, and soaking him 2 x day in really warm water with baby carrot puree. make sure his soak stays nice and warm the entire time he's in it. I remove a cup of water and add a cup of warm water every few minutes.

He'll likely start eating after a few days of being warmer. Do you have a water dish in his enclosure?

Kim444

5 Year Member
Thanks a lot your help.

Personally I don't think it's the environment, seeing to the fact that I've had it for more than 3.5 years, and nothing has changed in the way I or even my tort live.

I repeat: my tort has been living in the same conditions since I have had it and it has never "behaved" in such a strange way before, regardless of weather conditions and temperatre for example. I've a strong feeling that the problem is a medical one as you put it. The issue is that my tort has not been eating, Therefore I'm going to have to take my tort to a vet as soon as possible.

Receiving conflcting info is only complicating the matter rather than helping me! Someone told me that there isn't necessarily something wrong.

Thanks again your answer and your help.

You are going to receive conflicting information as we are all trying to help you figure out what is wrong with your tort. Under no circumstances would everyone give you the exact same answers. We are trying to help you, and just because the environment has been the same for 3.5 years, does not mean it's the right environment. Torts are sturdy buggers and can live in terrible conditions. Your temp is too low, so there is one point that your environment is in fact not perfect. Personally I think your tort is trying to hibernate because it is too cold, however I could be wrong, this is the internet. Can you post pics of your tort, it's enclosure, etc....

Gillian M

5 Year Member
Jordan
You are going to receive conflicting information as we are all trying to help you figure out what is wrong with your tort. Under no circumstances would everyone give you the exact same answers. We are trying to help you, and just because the environment has been the same for 3.5 years, does not mean it's the right environment. Torts are sturdy buggers and can live in terrible conditions. Your temp is too low, so there is one point that your environment is in fact not perfect. Personally I think your tort is trying to hibernate because it is too cold, however I could be wrong, this is the internet. Can you post pics of your tort, it's enclosure, etc....
Thanks your answer. I realize that on the net, in books and so on one can always expect conflicting info, especially when one receives info from very many people....I know what you mean.

What do yo think is the right temperature for a tort's enclosure? Am asking as you said that it may be too cold. Could be so.

Unfortunately I won't be able to post pics yet...my laptop is another issue! Sorry about that though I am sure that pics would be of great help.

It was nice and sunny today so I took my tort out for a "walk" in the sun. But mind you......it still refuses to eat.

Thanking you again for your help. Appreciate it.