My first sulcata cage setup

Status
Not open for further replies.

tymoto21

5 Year Member
Also named him crush

Like orange crush and because he crushes stuff when he stomps it :)

lovelyrosepetal

5 Year Member
Location (City and/or State)
Oklahoma
I love your name, I happen to love orange crush.

Also, more pictures, please. I have a hard time seeing yours.:)

Tom

The Dog Trainer
10 Year Member!
Platinum Tortoise Club
Southern California
Yes its normal for them to take a while to get up in the morning, especially when he just flew across the country in a little box. How soon mine get up has a lot to do with how much they ate the afternoon/evening before. If they are hungry, they are all out and looking at me first thing in the morning. If they stuffed themselves with a big meal the evening before, they might sleep in until 10am. Give him a couple of weeks to settle in before you do too much with him. Do the daily soaks, but leave him be other than that for a little while.

jtrux

5 Year Member
San Antonio, TX
Yea, sometimes if my tort is real hungry he will be out and about before the lights come on, just give him time.

tymoto21

5 Year Member
Ok :)
Yeah he seems to be going to bed a little early too. He went to bed around 7:00 tonight and I have his light set for 8:30

lovelyrosepetal said:
I love your name, I happen to love orange crush.

Also, more pictures, please. I have a hard time seeing yours.:)

The pics are off. Idk why but my iPod takes them upside down and won't let me flip them :(
I will try to figure it out and get some up

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=IpIHsuMkf_g&feature=youtube_gdata - With Video Tube for YouTube on iPhone/iPad

Zamric

10 Year Member!
The Crystal Unicorn
tymoto21 said:
Ok :)
Yeah he seems to be going to bed a little early too. He went to bed around 7:00 tonight and I have his light set for 8:30

Remember. Like ALL infants... he will sleep ALOT, wake up, eat, poop, wander around a little and sleep some more. EXPECT lots of sleep! you got an infant one your hands now.

tymoto21

5 Year Member
Ok yeah he does seem to sleep a good amount

He doesn't really like his bath time very much.
I noticed inside his hide the ground is a bit cold. The air is around 82 at night but the ground feels a little cold. Should I get. Heat mat to try to keep it warmer?

Zamric

10 Year Member!
The Crystal Unicorn
get a temp. gun. they run about $25 or $30 and give you an accurate temp on any spot. a good temp for sleeping is 75*-80* ...that would feel cool to your hands. He is cold blooded by nature (being a reptile and all), so 80* is kinda warm for him

Tortus

5 Year Member
Maryland
You call 7:00 early? My leopard is in bed by 3 pm just about every day.

I also have mine in a plastic container for now (39" x 20" x 7"), and I keep half of it covered to hold more humidity. That's my cold side. I use a Fluker's heat mat that's safe for plastic on the covered side with a thermostat set at 80 degrees. That's where the tort sleeps and the humidity down there stays between 80-90%. A CHE wouldn't really work for me on the covered side since it would just be shining on top of the thick plastic cover and probably wouldn't be effective. So far it's been perfectly healthy and growing nicely.

Good luck with your little--soon to be huge--guy. Just hang around here and you'll get lots of good advice.

tymoto21

5 Year Member
I mainly got the Che for when he is bigger and doesn't need the 80% humidity
But it should work for now
I have a towel over the cool side and it stays around 84 all day then like 78-79 at night

tymoto21

5 Year Member
Good news he likes his mazuri tortoise food.
Heated a pellet up and he went to chow town.
I have it mixed with some romain and I'm going to get a bunch of dry grasses and dandelion blend to mix in

tymoto21

5 Year Member
So I have a question
Crush is doing good and he loves eating and walking around!

Now when I give him a bath the last two times, he put his mouth in like he was drinking, then popped his head up and like gasped for air. I could hear it sitting next to his bath. I got scared so I took him out. He did it a 2nd time last night.
Is this something to be worried about?
He always has clean water plenty of food, his temps and humidity are 97-100 in his spot 20% humidity and 85-87 cool side and 50-85% humidity throughout the day.

Any help would be appreciated

CtTortoiseMom

5 Year Member
CT
tymoto21 said:
So I have a question

Now when I give him a bath the last two times, he put his mouth in like he was drinking, then popped his head up and like gasped for air. I could hear it sitting next to his bath. I got scared so I took him out. He did it a 2nd time last night.
He always has clean water plenty of food, his temps and humidity are 97-100 in his spot 20% humidity and 85-87 cool side and 50-85% humidity throughout the day.

He's just drinking. mine completely submerge their heads to drink and sometimes they pop up like that too.

tymoto21

5 Year Member
CtTortoiseMom said:
tymoto21 said:
So I have a question

He's just drinking. mine completely submerge their heads to drink and sometimes they pop up like that too.

Thank you, I just needed that confirmation.

Status
Not open for further replies.