My first sulcata cage setup

Status
Not open for further replies.

tymoto21

5 Year Member
Hi every body
My name is Tyler and I will be getting a baby sulcata from Arizona sulcata on here on Friday.

I'm getting its cage all set up and this is what I have so far

1353990302.jpg

I have to do 1 image at a time because I'm on my iPod and photobucket has not been cooperating.

Tom

The Dog Trainer
10 Year Member!
Platinum Tortoise Club
Location (City and/or State)
Southern California
Run it for a few days and check your four temps. Adjust if needed.

That size is not going to last you for very long. They grow pretty fast when things are good.

What have you got set up for outside?

Dizisdalife

10 Year Member!
California
Do you have the CHE on a thermostat? It would be handy for stabilizing night time and ambient temps. Tom is spot on about sulcata growing fast. You will need a bigger enclosure in a few months. Fortunately you live in an area that has warm, sunny winter days. An outside pen for exercise and sunshine would be a good idea. By summer your tortoise will be staying outside for most of the day.

tymoto21

5 Year Member
1353990295.jpg

I have a different bulb heating it up right now to get it set. I don't have the Che or spot bulb but they will be here Friday with him.
Do I need it on a thermostat? I wa going to space it off the ceiling to get ambient air to 75-78

Actually I live in Wisconsin so winter is winter here.
I dot have anything set up outside yet. That is why it was key for me to get a smaller tort. Once spring comes I live on about 1 acre so he will have room to roam. This cage really only has to last him about 6 months then he will be in a larger pen type enclosure.
I have 2 digital temp meters with humidity that will be in his pen one by the basking and one for ambient air.
I will adjust light hights for 75-78 ambient and 85-95 basking. I'm also hoping the rock in there will make it nicer for him to bask on.
I should get my humidity around 75-80% in his shelter though correct?

Tom

The Dog Trainer
10 Year Member!
Platinum Tortoise Club
Southern California
That enclosure will not last 6 months. Your hatchling needs room to move and that is already cramped. My babies are 400 grams and 5" at 6 months old and they make full use of a 4x8' indoor enclosure on days when I keep them inside. You can get a large christmas tree storage bin for around $20-30 at Walmart or a hardware store.

It makes things much easier and better if you put your CHE on a thermostat. Keeps the temp where you want it day and night. Much safer for a hatchling where temps are critical. I recommend 80 as an ambient for a hatchling sulcata. I wouldn't let it get cooler than that day or night. When they are a little bigger, they can handle lower temps, but be careful with a baby.

jtrux

5 Year Member
San Antonio, TX
Hmmmm...two things. I think your cage is set up correctly but it is pretty small. Tom is absolutely correct. They grow like wild fire and need lots of room so the idea about a christmas tree storage bin is a good one. I'm not trying to knock you but are you prepared to handle it when it grows to 100 pounds?

Second thing is since the tort won't be shipped til thurs, have you considered a smaller species? If this is what you have to provide now and it's gonna be a challenge to have a larger enclosure you might consider something different. There are lots of smaller species that make great pets and would be better suited for a smaller enclosure.

luvpetz27

5 Year Member
Ohio USA
It's still a great set up!! I bet the little one will love it! :)

wellington

10 Year Member!
Tortoise Club
Chicago, Illinois, USA
Check out the threads below in my post, by my signature. They are Toms and they are right on for raising a healthy smooth sulcata. Your buying from a good place, so taking the proper care, like in Toms threads, you shouldn't have any problems. Good luck.

lovelyrosepetal

5 Year Member
Oklahoma
He has an acre of land for the tortoise to live on. It is just for now that it has to live inside. I am sure that he has more than enough space for one sulcata tortoise.
I don't know anything about what the winters are like in Wisconsin. I do know that you will need to be able to keep it in warm weather but I know that lots of people are able to do it. As long as you do your homework, here you should be able to keep it well.
With getting the new enclosure I am sure your tortoise will be fine. Post pictures and when it gets to be old enough to live outside, do not forget the heated house/shed.

RockPBody

5 Year Member
Florida
As long as you know what your doing and are sure you can keep a 150 pound tortoise then go for it. There a lot of fun and trust me its worth it but just be careful. Keep it away from dogs and dont leave unattended out of the cage. You know the drill.

tymoto21

5 Year Member
image-1.jpg

This should hold him a little longer

Ima get more bedding tomorrow to make it a bit more exciting for him

tymoto21

5 Year Member
Little update
Got him here warmed him up gave him a bath and he walked around for like 3 hours straight. His light went off and he went to bed.
Spot is at 95, ambient air is 84 with spot on 80 at night time
Humidity is around 75% on the cool side lower on the hot side
I will get a pic tomorrow

Sorry about the pic I couldn't get it right side up on photobucket......

image-5.jpg

jtrux

5 Year Member
San Antonio, TX
Looks good, if you're able to cover it, you can really get that humidity up there.

tymoto21

5 Year Member
Quick question
This morning when his spot light came on for wake up time he stayed in his house for 15 min and I finnally just pulled him out and put him under the basking spot. Even then he didn't really move around for 20min. He is up now but should he be getting up on his own and is it normal for him to be a bit slower in the morning?

Status
Not open for further replies.