mvb shorting out

ReddyFreddy

5 Year Member
I recently purchased a window ac unit to cool my room down during the summer, and the energy draw has caused minor shorts in my room. My mvb does not turn off,however it does momentarily change colors, before going back to normal. Is this dangerous? I know mvb should not be dimmed or on a dimmer, and am wondering if this is just as bad.

JoesMum

10 Year Member!
Location (City and/or State)
Kent, South East England
I'm no electrician, but it sounds like the addition of the aircon unit to your room is overloading the circuit in your room.

Never mind your MVB this is not good news full stop. You need fewer things plugged into the wall otherwise you risk blowing a fuse ... or starting a fire.

Reactions: Tom

Tom

The Dog Trainer
10 Year Member!
Platinum Tortoise Club
Southern California
I recently purchased a window ac unit to cool my room down during the summer, and the energy draw has caused minor shorts in my room. My mvb does not turn off,however it does momentarily change colors, before going back to normal. Is this dangerous? I know mvb should not be dimmed or on a dimmer, and am wondering if this is just as bad.

Joe's Mum beat me to it. Your MVB flickering is the least of your concerns. You have a serious fire risk there and you need the advice of a professional electrician ASAP.

jaizei

Unknown Member
10 Year Member!
Earth
So the light dims when the ac comes on? It's probable that the inrush of current causes the voltage to decrease.

The point of the fuses/breakers is to protect the wiring. They're supposed to 'blow' when the current exceeds their rating. That in and of itself is not dangerous or a fire risk. Thats what it is designed to do. I.E., if the fuse or breaker isn't blowing (and isn't malfunctioning), the circuit isn't overloaded.

It's probably not ideal for the MVB.