How many members have raised smooth testudo species with a mvb living mostly indoors?

gtc

5 Year Member
Location (City and/or State)
Norway
Recently there have been some very interesting posts about pyramiding. There seems to be a general consensus that it is mostly caused by our heat lamps drying the keratin in the shell and that Tom's method of raising torts in high humidity is successful in counteracting this effect. However, the testudo species are not ment to be raised with this "hot and humid" method. Most experienced members recommend humidity levels of 50-70%, and obviously the temps also differ.

My question goes out to TFO members that have raised Testudo species (greeks, hermanns and russians) with mvb lamps and had them mostly indoors: what has your success been at raising smooth torts? Was it "easy" or did you get some pyramiding anyway?

Tom

The Dog Trainer
10 Year Member!
Platinum Tortoise Club
Southern California
gtc said:
Recently there have been some very interesting posts about pyramiding. There seems to be a general consensus that it is mostly caused by our heat lamps drying the keratin in the shell and that Tom's method of raising torts in high humidity is successful in counteracting this effect. However, the testudo species are not ment to be raised with this "hot and humid" method. Most experienced members recommend humidity levels of 50-70%, and obviously the temps also differ.

My question goes out to TFO members that have raised Testudo species (greeks, hermanns and russians) with mvb lamps and had them mostly indoors: what has your success been at raising smooth torts? Was it "easy" or did you get some pyramiding anyway?

Understand that my method calls for just 10% more humidity than that. All this arguing about a 10% difference..., and I'm not arguing that anyone keep Testudo at that humidity anyway...

I let my russians have lower ambient humidity, usually around 40-60%, but I also give them a damp substrate to burrow into and a dark humid hide to use, if they wish. I also let their night temps drop to room temp. The only difference for tropical species, is I keep ambient humidity a little higher in a closed chamber and I don't let night temps drop as low.

I don't use MVBs. I use regular incandescent flood bulbs because all my tortoises get sunshine all year long. In the winter with cooler temps, they will often spend two or three weeks indoors under their bulbs between sunning sessions. I set the basking temps under my lamps at around 95-100. My Russians are all growing smooth and normal.

tortadise

10 Year Member!
Tropical South Texas
For these young kleinmanni I use a mvb but mainly for basking. I rely on tube bulbs for UVB. This animal was hatched in April of this year. Was a little pyramided when I got the young bunch. But they are growing nice and smooth. Cuttle bone is always available. Calcium is powdered 4 times a week. They are sprayed and fogged in the mornings to elevate moisture and simulate the cool coastal weather systems of Lybia, Is real, and Egypt.

Attachments

• IMG_20131222_164325_265.jpg
    IMG_20131222_164325_265.jpg
    1.4 MB · Views: 57

gtc

5 Year Member
Norway
RE: How many ?

Tom said:
gtc said:

Understand that my method calls for just 10% more humidity than that. All this arguing about a 10% difference..., and I'm not arguing that anyone keep Testudo at that humidity anyway...

I let my russians have lower ambient humidity, usually around 40-60%, but I also give them a damp substrate to burrow into and a dark humid hide to use, if they wish. I also let their night temps drop to room temp. The only difference for tropical species, is I keep ambient humidity a little higher in a closed chamber and I don't let night temps drop as low.

I don't use MVBs. I use regular incandescent flood bulbs because all my tortoises get sunshine all year long. In the winter with cooler temps, they will often spend two or three weeks indoors under their bulbs between sunning sessions. I set the basking temps under my lamps at around 95-100. My Russians are all growing smooth and normal.

I am not arguing with you at all :) I agree with your methods. I hope members that have raised their testudo mostly indoors and under a mvb for prolonged periods have had the same success you have.