Must Eat in Food Bowl?

daniellenc

Location (City and/or State)
Maryland
IMG_1961.JPG Is Skurt the only one? Sorry for my blurry pics it's taken outside his tank but he ALWAYS eats in his dang food bowl! What gives? It cracks me up and grosses me out at the same time. I always see pics here with tortoises eating politely by their food but this fruit loop launches forward into his dish evertime!

Tom

The Dog Trainer
10 Year Member!
Platinum Tortoise Club
Southern California
Most of mine also like to sit on the food pile while they eat.

daniellenc

Maryland
Thankfully he hasn't done that yet but I always soak in the evening and then feed. Quit shocked he hasn't done his business in his breakfast but for all I know he has and ate it

TammyJ

5 Year Member
Jamaica
If I had to climb up into my breakfast, I would sit in it and eat too.
How about a flat food eating area, like a tile (rough side up)? Mine eat on a tile, it's easier to get to and they don't have to dive into it.

daniellenc

Maryland
It is flat with his substrate buried in which may be hard to see from the picture. He just prefers sitting in it apparently, lol

Yvonne G

Old Timer
TFO Admin
10 Year Member!
Platinum Tortoise Club
Clovis, CA
I have always figured they are protecting the food from other tortoises. Likewise, that's why they poop and pee on it.

Scubaroo

Florida
20170727_084056.jpg
This is normal for my guy. He will then climb off it and get in the middle facing the other way to clean up what he misses.