Multiple leopard tortoises?

BobbyJ

hello I have a redfoot tortoise and was planning on getting a leopard as well . I have a second enclosure it is 6ft by -2feet ( 20 inches ) .. How many can live in there without issues .. I know that it's not goo to keep them in pairs but is 3 small ones okay for a while ?

dmmj

The member formerly known as captain awesome
10 Year Member!
Location (City and/or State)
CA
Enclosure size ratio sq foot for every square inch of tortoise times how ever many tortoises. Solve for X

Greg T

10 Year Member!
League City, TX
You will get many opinions for single versus multiples, but here is what I have seen with mine. For my babies, I have had up to twelve hatchlings together at once and seen no problems. You have to watch for bullying and such, but if you lay out the food properly, you can provide adequate protection to all. Have one to three in the same enclosure doesn't mean it must be much bigger, but more will get congested.

I have three adults who share a yard in the summer, they all roam around, but the two females seem to have opposite sections of the yard they stay in at night, perhaps their territory. During the winters, they all share an enclosure in the garage, but they aren't very active in cold weather anyway. I have not seen any aggressive behaviors among the groups.

My two cents. :D

Neal

10 Year Member!
Arizona
6' by <2' should work for a little while with a small group of leopards if they're young. Once they start getting towards the 4 inch mark, they'll need a lot more room to move around in.

No matter how many tortoises you have, I recommend having a back up plan for housing accommodations in case you need to separate an aggressor from your group.

wellington

10 Year Member!
Tortoise Club
Chicago, Illinois, USA
I agree with Neal. I,have three 4 year old leopards. One male, one female and one that I am still waiting to be positively confirmed female. During the day they roam a very large L shaped area. Like 8-10 feet wide by 50 or more feet long. During the night time, the male is place in a seperate enclosure then the other two. I have seen some bullying during the outside time in the very large enclosure. Making my suspicion that the questionable one might be a male, but still not positive. Your size enclosure will be too small for the life time of three leopards.

Tom

The Dog Trainer
10 Year Member!
Platinum Tortoise Club
Southern California
6x2 will be fine for three small ones for a while. Just be aware that you might need to separate them all at any time.

Some leopards get very sexually aggressive and territorial earlier on than others. I had to separate my males form the females at about 1.5-2 years old. I got away with a bachelor herd for a while, but they had to all be separated by their third year. These were South Africans which are bolder and more outgoing in my experience, but a lot of the commonly available "regular" leopards have mixed genetics nowadays, so it could go either way.

Regular leopards are generally pretty peaceful and usually get along fine in groups. There are always exceptions though.