Mr. Lonely Hearts

Status
Not open for further replies.

Neal

10 Year Member!
Location (City and/or State)
Arizona
I recently separated the male stars from the females, and they've been showing some very interesting behavior the past couple of days. They travel around together in their enclosure (which is pretty good sized) and they REALLY love it when I come out to visit them. To me, they don't get more personable than a male Indian Star. It's a lot of fun to sit out there and watch them.

I apologize for the lack of quality in these photos. Someday I'll invest in a better camera, but here's some of the fun happening today.

They'll travel in a single file line sometimes. (I had to crop my foot out of this photograph so that's why it's narrow.

065.jpg

064-1.jpg

Coming to get a head scratch.

072.jpg

078.jpg

077.jpg

076-1.jpg

wellington

10 Year Member!
Tortoise Club
Chicago, Illinois, USA
So cute. I thought maybe they were marching to come and get you for separating the sexes:D

min

5 Year Member
They are beautiful, very lucky to have More than one, I hope to get another in the future

jtrux

5 Year Member
San Antonio, TX
I'm not too familiar with stars but are they considered full grown? I know they are not a large species, just not sure how big they get.

Benjamin

5 Year Member
zone 7b
Those are some friendly and nice looking male elegans.

Neal

10 Year Member!
Arizona
jtrux said:
I'm not too familiar with stars but are they considered full grown? I know they are not a large species, just not sure how big they get.

Yes these are full grown. Though, they each had a small amount of growth this year. The biggest is about 6.5 inches. Females are a bit bigger.

tickle

5 Year Member
How old are they?I plan on getting more but it is to cold to ship stars even with heat pads spent I'm going to get 2 more hatchligs

Neal

10 Year Member!
Arizona
tickle said:
How old are they?I plan on getting more but it is to cold to ship stars even with heat pads spent I'm going to get 2 more hatchligs

In the first picture, the one in the front is estimated to be about 20 years old, the one in the back about 10. The two in the middle are younger...maybe 5 years old.

tickle

5 Year Member
Must have put a dent In the wallet.they look awesome a d happy!congratd.any hatchlings yet?

Neal

10 Year Member!
Arizona
tickle said:
Must have put a dent In the wallet.they look awesome a d happy!congratd.any hatchlings yet?

Last year was pretty rough, we only had three hatchlings. The year before that though we had a good round.

I've missed at least one nest this year already. Unfortunately, the females hide their nests very well. It's just now the beginning of egg laying season so hopefully we will get more this year.

tickle

5 Year Member
I guess once u find the clutch it must be nervracking to remove them saftly like a pile of 500 dollar bills that if you grab em wrong they just poor away.lol.I let my boxies just hatch on there own I have crushed a few by accident and its heartbreaking to see that tiny guy dying.I let 9 hatchlings go all around the state parks in Jersey this year one of my best so far.one went to a ranger to raise and use as teaching turtle for the nature hut.the other 2 were adopted out to friends.it is real sketchy to sell in Jersey so I don't at all.

Status
Not open for further replies.