more than one tortoise in a habitat???

clue

Location (City and/or State)
Arizona
I was told tortoises were lonersnand i couldnt have more than 1 in a habitat. Is that true?

Yvonne G

Old Timer
TFO Admin
10 Year Member!
Platinum Tortoise Club
Clovis, CA
You were told correctly. After you get some experience with taking care of tortoises and understand their 'body language' a bit better, then you might experiment with having more than one in the same habitat. But at first, all new tortoise-keepers should stick to that rule.

Tortoises are solitary animals. They have a territory and they try to chase any other tortoises out of their territory. These end in fights, and the fights can be bloody. If you don't see actual fighting, you may see the more submissive tortoise hiding in a corner all the time, trying to stay out of the more dominant tortoise's sight/area. He may stop eating. He won't grow.

And just because you see other members having more than one tortoise, that doesn't necessarily mean all of the tortoises live together.

So, start with one, and if you want more, make a new habitat for it.

Tom

The Dog Trainer
10 Year Member!
Platinum Tortoise Club
Southern California
Yvonne is right.

Sometimes they can get along in groups as babies or juveniles. Sometimes, some species can get along in large groups of both sexes when housed outside in huge enclosures with lots of plants, visual barriers and hiding spots. In other species it is unwise to even attempt to keep more than one adult male in an enclosure. In some species, like russians or sulcatas, even the females will fight and tear each other up.

Pairs almost never work out. Groups in small indoor enclosures can lead to disaster too. If you ever do get more than one, you will need to be prepared to separate them all into their own individual enclosures at any time. And new tortoises will need to be quarantined in their own enclosures for a few months too.

What species are we talking about and how many did you want to get? What size enclosure can you provide for them?

Yvonne G

Old Timer
TFO Admin
10 Year Member!
Platinum Tortoise Club
Clovis, CA
I should make a bit of an explanation here:

I separated out this thread from a larger thread asking for members' tortoises' names and how many they had. I think the OP here was just wondering about this question because so many responders on that thread listed numerous tortoises in their care.

ZEROPILOT

REDFOOT WRANGLER
Tortoise Club
5 Year Member
Platinum Tortoise Club
South Eastern Florida (U.S.A.)/Rock Hill S.C.
I have three tortoises, a species that can be kept together. But because of harassment of my female(s) I still house them separately in their own very large out door pens and only allow them together with my supervision.