Money tree for morons like me

ZEROPILOT

REDFOOT WRANGLER
Tortoise Club
5 Year Member
Platinum Tortoise Club
Location (City and/or State)
South Eastern Florida (U.S.A.)/Rock Hill S.C.
I kept reading posts about money trees/plants used as food for tortoises. So I went out and got one.
I proudly came back online with pictures and was told that it's NOT a money tree/plant.
I Googled and found this tidbit:
In the U.K. and Europe a "money plant" is what is here in North America called a common Jade.
In North America, a "money tree" is a Guiana Chestnut. (In the Hibiscus family.)
I now own both.
Luckily the leaves of both are edible.
The jade is the small plant on the left. The Chestnut is on the right.
Both money plants.......Depending on your geography.
I hope this helps anyone looking for tortoise food.

20170329_155418-2.jpg

ZEROPILOT

REDFOOT WRANGLER
Tortoise Club
5 Year Member
Platinum Tortoise Club
South Eastern Florida (U.S.A.)/Rock Hill S.C.
The "money tree" is Pachira aquatica. That is what you have.
It is safe.
Yes. To further confuse things, there is a scientific name and about four other common names that are unrelated for the Chestnut. As well as at least six different types of Jade. Some of it bushy, some that grows like a vine..........

Mark Tenerife

Tenerife
Yes. To further confuse things, there is a scientific name and about four other common names that are unrelated for the Chestnut. As well as at least six different types of Jade. Some of it bushy, some that grows like a vine..........
Thanks for posting this. I am a novice at tourtouse keeping. This forum is fantastic for people all over the world. I was confused about the money/jade plant they grow here like crazy. Although Freda my Russian seems to only like broccoli!!!!!

stevenf625

5 Year Member
Glad to find out this information. "Money tree" plants are easy to find in stores here and are very hardy - will make a nice addition to the box.

bouaboua

10 Year Member!
Tortoise Club
Platinum Tortoise Club
San Jose CA
Great information.......Very helpful. Two more plants to feed the torts. Thanks. :):)