Moles?

Status
Not open for further replies.

alysciaingram

5 Year Member
Location (City and/or State)
Florida
My mother in law complained a lot about moles when she lived in our house. When she gave it to us, we saw no evidence of such creatures living in our yard. Today when I got home from school I saw what I believe to be mole trails in my largest enclosure, but I'm not 100% positive. Could anyone identify these tracks and perhaps give me a guess if this is the creature I'm dealing with? Also, if it is a mole, is it harmful to my tortoise? I would really rather not kill the mole, but I don't want something dangerous hanging out with Bowser. Plus, she's plenty popular enough with my black racers and anoles hanging out with her.

ImageUploadedByTortForum1377708512.948732.jpgImageUploadedByTortForum1377708521.766540.jpgImageUploadedByTortForum1377708536.015998.jpgImageUploadedByTortForum1377708549.398723.jpgImageUploadedByTortForum1377708560.949564.jpg

There are only these marks on the side of the enclosure that has less grass and more shade bushes, but extend all over the shaded half.

If anyone has any ideas, please feel free. I'm thinking about getting a sonic transmitter but don't know if the tortoises will be effected at all either.

Last edited by a moderator:

Baoh

10 Year Member!
Florida
Yeah, that is a mole tunnel. It is "big", yes? Big enough to fit, say, a kiwi fruit into?

You folks also have mole crickets down there, but those are way smaller than moles.

I have moles around here. They do not harm the tortoises. I have no idea if they might harm nests, though.

LolaMyLove

10 Year Member!
Walnut Creek, Ca
We have moles and so far the best deterrent we have found is simple pinwheels, the kind kids play with or people put in their gardens. They put off a vibration when they spin and it drives the moles away... Sounds silly but it does work. (And works better then the mole stakes that you put in the ground and cheaper).

Tom

The Dog Trainer
10 Year Member!
Platinum Tortoise Club
Southern California
littlestella said:
We have moles and so far the best deterrent we have found is simple pinwheels, the kind kids play with or people put in their gardens. They put off a vibration when they spin and it drives the moles away... Sounds silly but it does work. (And works better then the mole stakes that you put in the ground and cheaper).

Are you talking about moles or gophers? They have moles in SF?

alysciaingram

5 Year Member
Florida
I guess Bowser is getting some decorations around her enclosure. At least they aren't threatening, and I don't have much grass on that side for them to pull up. Will they ruin the root system of my hibiscus though in the mean time?

Status
Not open for further replies.