Tortoises buried by gophers.

judytortoise

Location (City and/or State)
Norwalk California
I have 3 adult tortoises, all registered with Calif Fish & Game Dept. that are in hibernation in the same hole this year. We have noticed a gopher or mole has tunneled their way to the hole pushing the dirt to the outside of their hole. I was wondering if we should dig the tortoises up, I don't know if they can breathe being buried. We have never had gophers until now. Please anyone I would appreciate any suggestions, I imagine their tortoise hole is far back as it has been one of their hibernation spots for many years now.

Tom

The Dog Trainer
10 Year Member!
Platinum Tortoise Club
Southern California
I have 3 adult tortoises, all registered with Calif Fish & Game Dept. that are in hibernation in the same hole this year. We have noticed a gopher or mole has tunneled their way to the hole pushing the dirt to the outside of their hole. I was wondering if we should dig the tortoises up, I don't know if they can breathe being buried. We have never had gophers until now. Please anyone I would appreciate any suggestions, I imagine their tortoise hole is far back as it has been one of their hibernation spots for many years now.
I would dig them up and move them to a suitably set, tested, and monitored fridge for the remainder of hibernation. This is one of the many reasons why they should never be hibernated outside.

In this thread I explain safe outdoor housing that addresses the problems in and out of hibernation with our local weather here in SoCal.

judytortoise

Norwalk California
I would dig them up and move them to a suitably set, tested, and monitored fridge for the remainder of hibernation. This is one of the many reasons why they should never be hibernated outside.

In this thread I explain safe outdoor housing that addresses the problems in and out of hibernation with our local weather here in SoCal.
Thank you.