Mixture of new substrates

Chuckd

Location (City and/or State)
Chicago
Hey,

Is the Combination of Eco earth and reptisoil good for a russian tortises. I am going to put it where he burrows and sleeps a lot. the rest of my enclosure will be reptibark.

Thanks

TammyJ

5 Year Member
Jamaica
Why change from the orchid bark or Reptibark to an inferior or even harmful substrate? I wouldn't.

TammyJ

5 Year Member
Jamaica
It's generally believed and agreed here by people who have decades of experience, that orchid bark is the best substrate. I suppose that the fine grade one may be easier to burrow down into than the regular one. @Tom .

mojo_1

Saint Clairsville OH
It's generally believed and agreed here by people who have decades of experience, that orchid bark is the best substrate. I suppose that the fine grade one may be easier to burrow down into than the regular one. @Tom .
I had to go with the Reptibark because I was unable to get the smaller cut orchid bark from the stores in my area.

Tom

The Dog Trainer
10 Year Member!
Platinum Tortoise Club
Southern California
Ah ok, is there better substrate for him to burrow in
I like to use coco coir for baby Russians. I use a thick layer and then dampen and hand pack it firmly.

Once they reach about 3-4 inches, I switch to fine grade orchid bark/repti-bark.

Chuckd

Chicago
I like to use coco coir for baby Russians. I use a thick layer and then dampen and hand pack it firmly.

Once they reach about 3-4 inches, I switch to fine grade orchid bark/repti-bark.
Cool thank you,