Tortoise substrates?

RockyTheRussian

Hey! I have a Russian tortoise and I was wondering what substrates you guys use? He is living in Eco earth now but it dries up way too fast, even if I do spray it with water. Can you guys give me some examples and maybe even a pic of the bag so I can get the same one? Thx :)

Tom

The Dog Trainer
10 Year Member!
Platinum Tortoise Club
Location (City and/or State)
Southern California
Any substrate you use will require more than surface spraying to keep it suitably damp, especially in winter. You have to dump water into it. How much water and how often varies.

Eco earth is good, but I prefer fine grade orchid bark for adult russians.

JoesMum

10 Year Member!
Kent, South East England
Any substrate you use will require more than surface spraying to keep it suitably damp, especially in winter. You have to dump water into it. How much water and how often varies.

I agree with Tom:

- Take the decor out
- Tip water in from a jug
- Mix it into the substrate thoroughly with your hands
- Repeat until all the substrate is evenly damp
- You will need to repeat this every few weeks. How often depends on conditions in your home.

Spraying the substrate only slows down the rate at which it dries.

RockyTheRussian

OK thank you- i have heard a lot of people like orchid bark but aren't those big pieces are bark? How do they burrow?

Alexio

Syracuse, New York
oh also where do you get the fine grade orchid bark?
You can buy it in pet stores. Its usually known as "repti-bark" but you can also buy it in gardening stores for a much cheaper price.
The website says repti-bark goes through a three stage cleaning process but is not heat treated.
If you buy it from a gardening store make sure there is no added chemicals or fertilizers. You also may want to consider boiling baking or freezing it before first use just to be safe.

Last edited:

RockyTheRussian

You can buy it in pet stores. Its usually known as "repti-bark" but you can also buy it in gardening stores for a much cheaper price.
The website says repti-bark goes through a three stage cleaning process but is not heat treated.
If you buy it from a gardening store make sure there is no added chemicals or fertilizers. You also may want to consider boiling baking or freezing it before first use just to be safe.
ok thank you :)