Mixing Tort Species

RiverBreezy

5 Year Member
Location (City and/or State)
Florida
I have a male sulcata of unknown age that weighs about 25 lbs. He has lived outdoors since we got him a few months ago. Soon (probably this weekend), I will be getting a 7 yo Golden Greek tort from a coworker. My intention is to have my husband build a tortoise table indoors this weekend for the new tortoise. But of course I also want the new tort to be able to spend time outside. Is it ill advised to allow the 2 to roam the same pen? The sulcata is bigger obviously and I don't want anyone getting hurt. We just have such a small yard that I'm not sure how we would be able to do 2 different pens, but I will get creative if need be!

wellington

10 Year Member!
Tortoise Club
Chicago, Illinois, USA
Just the size alone tells you it's a bad idea. Now add onto that the different species. Your new tort will not survive long being in with a sully, specially one of that size.

theresal

5 Year Member
Terrytown,LA
I would advise against letting them roam the same pen. If you have no other place to let the Greek graze, then put him in a sort of supervised playpen (doggie pen in the yard.) Also, before you have had a chance to quarantine the new one, it could pass on parasites or share other unwanted things with your current tortoise. More than likely the larger one will bully the smaller. Follow your gut, chances are you are right when it comes to safety. It seems you were onto something when you asked the question in the first place.

RiverBreezy

5 Year Member
Florida
Ok, I figured that would be the answer. I guess I will have my husband get on building a new pen. The dogs will just have to lose some backyard space. :s

BeeBee*BeeLeaves

5 Year Member
Orange County, So Cal
Exactly what was stated. Not good. Sulcatas are bulldozer-ish and have been known to hurt and kill. Also, one of the TFO experts, Yvonne, explained in a thread why you do not put different species, from different continents together. Its because they carry different bacterias and such. She made the point that when the Europeans came to America many of the native Americans got sick and died because these new bacterias had been introduced and they had no resistance to them. Not worth risking. Separate habitats/enclosures is best. As for doggies, more walks maybe? Good for everyone! And be sure to keep doggies supervised when they are near tortoises also. Lot of sad stories about that one and usually, always, tortoise loses out. : )

jaizei

Unknown Member
10 Year Member!
Earth
BeeBee*BeeLeaves said:
Exactly what was stated. Not good. Sulcatas are bulldozer-ish and have been known to hurt and kill. Also, one of the TFO experts, Yvonne, explained in a thread why you do not put different species, from different continents together. Its because they carry different bacterias and such. She made the point that when the Europeans came to America many of the native Americans got sick and died because these new bacterias had been introduced and they had no resistance to them. Not worth risking. Separate habitats/enclosures is best. As for doggies, more walks maybe? Good for everyone! And be sure to keep doggies supervised when they are near tortoises also. Lot of sad stories about that one and usually, always, tortoise loses out. : )

I think that analogy is less than apt due to the fact that Europeans and Native Americans are the same species.

Though for the sake of argument, let's suppose there is such a grave risk as we often see presented on this forum. Then wouldn't the 'responsible' thing to do would be to not own exotic species in foreign lands.