Mixing tort species?

Status
Not open for further replies.

HerpKeeper72

5 Year Member
Location (City and/or State)
Southern, OK
Hey all sorryits been so long had internet problems but we're back!
We have a young sulcata and were wondering if we could get and keep another species of tort like a red or Russian in the same enclosure. In reguards to the desiese issue what if they were both to get thoroughly cleaned. The enclosure is plenty big enough for 2 possibly 3 torts. And if not another species how old is too of to introduce another sulcata?

Thanks J

luvpetz27

5 Year Member
Ohio USA
I have always heard on here it is not
a good thing to do. I am sure you will
get several replies soon! :)

HerpKeeper72

5 Year Member
Southern, OK
luvpetz27 said:
I have always heard on here it is not
a good thing to do. I am sure you will
get several replies soon! :)

Thank you for the reply. Ya I have seen similar things but usually involving other animals dogs, iguanas etc. Just hoping torts would be safer lol.

Yvonne G

Old Timer
TFO Admin
10 Year Member!
Platinum Tortoise Club
Clovis, CA
It's not exactly the same thing, but I liken it to when the Pilgrims came to America and many Native Americans got sick and died from "germs" the Pilgrims brought with them.

The sulcata doesn't have to be sick (he can be, to use your word, clean), but he carries tiny pathogens inside him that his species has evolved to live with. Likewise the Russian, only HIS pathogens are different ones. When the two tortoises contact these pathogens either from saliva or poop, one or the other tortoise might become sick or even dead.

Tom

The Dog Trainer
10 Year Member!
Platinum Tortoise Club
Southern California
The disease risk alone should be enough to dissuade you, but there are other issues too. Tortoises are solitary. They don't want, like or need company. Other tortoises are seen as combatants, intruders, rapists, and competition. They fare much better alone. Also, Russians are very scrappy. Sulcatas can certainly get combative as they get older, but the Russian will likely torment the sulcata when they are small. Be aware that you don't have to see any overt bullying for there to be long term chronic stress. Just the presence of the other tortoise across the cage can do it.

Sooooooooo:
1. Keep species separate.
2. If you want more than one of a species, don't do pairs. Keep them in groups in very large enclosures, or...
3. Get as many tortoises of as many species as you want and house them all individually.

And just how big is your enclosure?

HerpKeeper72

5 Year Member
Southern, OK
Tom said:
The disease risk alone should be enough to dissuade you, but there are other issues too. Tortoises are solitary. They don't want, like or need company. Other tortoises are seen as combatants, intruders, rapists, and competition. They fare much better alone. Also, Russians are very scrappy. Sulcatas can certainly get combative as they get older, but the Russian will likely torment the sulcata when they are small. Be aware that you don't have to see any overt bullying for there to be long term chronic stress. Just the presence of the other tortoise across the cage can do it.

Sooooooooo:
1. Keep species separate.
2. If you want more than one of a species, don't do pairs. Keep them in groups in very large enclosures, or...
3. Get as many tortoises of as many species as you want and house them all individually.

And just how big is your enclosure?

Thank you to all that replied, I feel silly now I should have thought of these things, but this is why I ask on here :). The current enclosure is about 4' long, 3' wide and almost 2' tall (thinking of adding a second level (with a guard rail, he likes to try to tumble off things). Boulder is only about 3-4" long so this is just another step up we will continue to increase the size as he grows (or in anticipation of his growth). this is until he is big enough to build an outdoor enclosure.

Status
Not open for further replies.