Mixing specie

Status
Not open for further replies.

PrincessToad

5 Year Member
I have a russian tortoise and I am thinking of buying a sulcata. I am aware they cannot be housed in the same habitat because Russians are somewhat loners. Just wondering if they will play nice during outdoors hours? Does anyone have this family mixture?

theelectraco

5 Year Member
They needs to be housed separately both indoors and out.

0.1.0 Dachshund
0.0.1 Redfoot
1.0.0 Greek

Arizona Sulcata

10 Year Member!
Location (City and/or State)
Mesa, AZ
There is more reasoning behind not mixing species rather than them just being "loners". Russians are notorious for carrying diseases and could get your Sully sick. This is part of why we don't mix different species, they carry different illnesses. There are also major size differences, cross breeding issues, different personalities/behaviours, etc. So no I would not risk having them in the same area at all. Too risky, especially with Russians.

Laura

10 Year Member!
5 Year Member
Foothills above Sacramento CA
your sulcata can kill the Russian as well, once it gets bigger...
They don't play....
two separate areas...

Baoh

10 Year Member!
Florida
I would not personally recommend combining a WC Russian subadult/adult with a large sulcata unless you have a ton of experience with exactly this and, since you are asking, it is indicative of that not being quite the situation, so better to not proceed with that as an option.

For a temporary thing, one could pull off putting small CB with small CB with decent quarantine and other measures both beforehand and during care, but I would not prefer to select this option and I have a lot of success with species combination. With the need for a separate quarantine enclosure to perform quarantine properly, though, you might as well just stick to the separate enclosure from the get-go.

I have had three Russians get along swimmingly with a single very well mannered sulcata in the past, but very few people could control something like this without overwhelming luck being on their side, so I would still advise against it.

PrincessToad

5 Year Member
Baoh said:
I would not personally recommend combining a WC Russian subadult/adult with a large sulcata unless you have a ton of experience with exactly this and, since you are asking, it is indicative of that not being quite the situation, so better to not proceed with that as an option.

For a temporary thing, one could pull off putting small CB with small CB with decent quarantine and other measures both beforehand and during care, but I would not prefer to select this option and I have a lot of success with species combination. With the need for a separate quarantine enclosure to perform quarantine properly, though, you might as well just stick to the separate enclosure from the get-go.

I have had three Russians get along swimmingly with a single very well mannered sulcata in the past, but very few people could control something like this without overwhelming luck being on their side, so I would still advise against it.

If I have them both interact from a young age is there a better chance for success?

Baoh

10 Year Member!
Florida
PrincessToad said:
Baoh said:

If I have them both interact from a young age is there a better chance for success?

I would say it really is not that simple and it is best left undone in the situation as brought up here.

Tom

The Dog Trainer
10 Year Member!
Platinum Tortoise Club
Southern California
On this very rare occasion, I agree with Baoh.

In my opinion, it is generally a bad idea to mix species.

Tom

The Dog Trainer
10 Year Member!
Platinum Tortoise Club
Southern California
Wewt said:
What about mixing an aldabra tortoise with a sulcata tortoise?

Same "no"s across the board?

Yep. That's a bad match due to personality too, in my opinion.

Baoh

10 Year Member!
Florida
Wewt said:
What about mixing an aldabra tortoise with a sulcata tortoise?

Same "no"s across the board?

Depends. Works fine for mine, but my sulcatas are all very mild mannered. I would not let an aggressive male just do as he might please in such a scenario. I only keep one male in the main tortoise yard. My Aldabra tends to associate with my forest species more, though. Especially the larger juvenile yellow foot tortoises.

Status
Not open for further replies.