Mites on Sulcata substrate - losing it over here

Zzi30

Location (City and/or State)
New York
Hi all,

Yep, I’ve read all about mites on this site, seems to be unavoidable and that they are harmless. I really hope this is so. I found 3 mites. Yeah, only 3. I don’t have an infestation (yet). It’s new soil and I figured this may happen one day, didn’t know it would happen so soon. I’m really annoyed. My concern is that they now will live in my wooden enclosure. When I say this, I truly mean, that I inspected ALL the soil/substrate in our tortoise house, didn’t find anymore. They are too small to be springtails, the 3 that I found could have been babies, they were impossible to see, but I have good eyesight. I studied all the soil for hours (as I was cleaning it all out) just in case. I’m not kidding. I did a very thorough job, and I get it, it happens, unavoidable, changes are there are more/eggs somewhere. I’m really frustrated, I feel like they’re everywhere (they are not). Luckily I could only find 3 and no signs of any other bugs.

I make sure nothing is too moist, never leave food behind (only the bowl of dry tortoise bites) I change the soil all the time, and yet here I am.

None are on my tortoise, at all. Please reassure me, how serious this is. Is this normal to see mites? I really don’t want to have missed any or have them crawling out of the enclosure. That’s my biggest concern, that the mites are now crawling out of the tortoise home. Sorry, don’t mean to sound frantic, but I am. Just need some words of wisdom lol

Been using

Zoo Med Eco Earth Compressed Coconut Fiber and Galapagos Tropicoco Husk Coconut Husk​

wellington

10 Year Member!
Tortoise Club
Location (City and/or State)
Chicago, Illinois, USA
You can bake it 250 for about 3 hours. It will not keep them away forever, but I have had them stay away for over 6 months by baking it.
I have done the freezing, didn't work for long at all.
You can boil it too. I haven't tried that but I think it will last as long as baking it.
Some will say it doesnt work. It does! I have done it several times when my torts were small and they were in my house. Couldn't deal with the bugs in my house.