Wood Mites

CanadianTestudo

5 Year Member
So I recently added a springtail culture to my eastern box turtle enclosure, and tada, next day I got wood mites (i think) all over my room. This really surprised me, went from zero to a million. While I have come to realize that they will not harm my tortoise I do not like having them all over the enclosure as there are so many of them and I do not want my landlord to see this as a reason to kick me out of the apartment. So, how do I get rid of them? All the research I have done tells me to dry out the substrate completely (not really an option with this species of tortoise) or use some chemical that would kill them (which would also kill the springtails though). Anyone have any suggestions on here on how I can at least reduce the population of wood mites to a managable amount? Right now they are everywherewood mites.jpg

CanadianTestudo

5 Year Member
I don't think they are (and sorry about the picture, but my cellphone can't get any better pictures). I saw some springtails in the substrate and they were longer and narrower. These guys are more round. And wouldn't the springtails also just chill in the substrate?

Yvonne G

Old Timer
TFO Admin
10 Year Member!
Platinum Tortoise Club
Location (City and/or State)
Clovis, CA
Wow! I totally understand you're creeped out. I would be too

Go to a hardware store and buy sticky traps. Hang them from the lid of the habitat, but high enough the tortoise can't contact them.

CanadianTestudo

5 Year Member
They are not sprintails. I have springtails in the substrate under some old food and they are much bigger in size and also more long and narrow rather than a teardrop shape

Tidgy's Dad

5 Year Member
Location (City and/or State)
Fes, Morocco
Too much!
I would replace my substrate immediately, or freeze it to kill whatever it is.
Sorry about the springtails, but no way!

CanadianTestudo

5 Year Member
Seems like their numbers are dwindling (or they are just all hidden under some rotting wood somewhere). Anyways, I still see a couple but not nearly as much as in my picture. Springtails are also doing good