Minster wants to mate!

Status
Not open for further replies.

Skymall007

5 Year Member
Minster has NEVER done this before, I have had him for 8 years now and for the FIRST time I saw him trying to mate with his food bowl. I really want to breed him because he is extremely handsome. Ironically my Reptile Magazine that came in the mail, has an entire article on Russian breeding.

Anyway, I can't afford to go and buy him 3 females. I have heard of breeding loans. Does anyone have any experience with this?

Jacqui

Wanna be raiser of Lemon Drop tortoises
10 Year Member!
Location (City and/or State)
A Land Far Away...
I have known a couple of folks who tried this., over all it seems it did not work well. You really need to know and trust the person your trying to do this with and how they keep their animals. In the end, there is no guarantee the owner of the female will really give you your share of the hatchlings (if eggs even are ever laid). Plus with a female being able to hold sperm for so long, how do you prove who the sire really is or for how long are you able to get a share of any hatchlings produced by the female?

Blastoise

5 Year Member
I hope I don't have to wait eight years to breed my russian Eugene! How old was the minster when you got him? How big is he now?

Eweezyfosheezy

5 Year Member
Peoria, Arizona
Yes you cant just do it with anyone. I would only do it with close friends and very reputable breeders.

DesertGrandma

10 Year Member!
Arizona
This came up in another thread but I can't remember the reasons why it didn't seem to work well. If think it might have had to do with possible diseases or something and the care of your tort. I seem to remember a suggestion that a contract would be needed. However, to me it seems like it could be feasible????

bigred

10 Year Member!
Southern California
You never know who you are dealing with or how they are keeping the torts that they have

Skymall007

5 Year Member
I have had Minster 8 years now but he was around 10 when I got him. =) I think they can mate by the time they are ten but I could be wrong. Hmmmm I think I shall save up to get my own females. Based on these answers that seems the safest route. Thank you guys so much =)

dmmj

The member formerly known as captain awesome
10 Year Member!
CA
I have tried breeding loans before, It did not work out well.

Status
Not open for further replies.