Mild to Buckwild in a matter of months

Okinawan

Location (City and/or State)
Edmond, Oklahoma
002.jpg 010.jpg 012.jpg 013.jpg 014.jpg 015.jpg 016.jpg 018.jpg 002.jpg Hello All!

I've gone from meh, to...gots to get some more! I have 4 Hermann's tortoises. 3 that I've acquired from various PetsMart locations near me and one off of Craigslist. For a short period of time, PetsMart had a 35% off tortoises and that was the incentive I needed. However, when they rang me up at the register, it did not automatically show the reduced price and upon further investigation, they discovered that it was not "in the system" and the manager promptly removed the discount sticker but honored the discount anyway. I realize now that PetsMart and Craigslist may not be the best places to acquire these torts due to various reasons but I don't regret it as they seem healthy and all are eating well. I've learned so much in the past few months about torts/habitats/enclosure and 99% came from this forum and am really grateful for all the members who have contributed their knowledge and helpful tips. If the pics are loaded the way I think, going clockwise from the 9 o'clock position from the first pick are:
Big Mamma(F), Ernie(M), Cocoa Puff(F), and Sugar(F). I am not entirely sure of their sexes but have assumed their identities by looking at their tails and other visual cues I've learned through this forum. Cocoa Puff is the most recent member of the family and the one I aquired off of Craigslist. She is the biggest by far and you can't really get a feel for her size in the photos but has approximately 5.5-6" of shell length. I don't really know their ages and no way of really guessing. Regarding their enclosures, I started out with a tortoise house and rapidly progressed to what you see in the pics for an indoor enclosure. I am still confused regarding lighting but that's for another forum or thread I guess. I will start the outdoor enclosure shortly hopefully in time for spring.

SarahChelonoidis

5 Year Member
Toronto, Canada
That's a really nice looking enclosure - well done.

I am concerned you didn't mention quarantine with adding tortoises from multiple sources, but I'm hoping you glossed over that.

Okinawan

Edmond, Oklahoma
Sarah,
Thanks, my enclosure changes daily these days....not desirable but can't help my self. I did not quarantine, and I know I should have but way too late now.

Okinawan

Edmond, Oklahoma
Thank you Grandpa Turtle!

Fellow Okie cmac3, I love your leopards and your pics are outstanding...makes me want to get one but one step at a time I guess. I have a fancy pants camera that is collecting dust in the closet...maybe it's time to actually use it take some real photos!

Yvonne G

Old Timer
TFO Admin
10 Year Member!
Platinum Tortoise Club
Clovis, CA
Welcome to the Forum!

You've done a real nice job on the habitat. What's in the bins on the floor under the habitat.

Okinawan

Edmond, Oklahoma
Thanks Yvonne and Deane.

I am still thinking of ways to expand the indoor setup and I think I've found a way to utilize the ready made tortoise table...muhaha

Tom

The Dog Trainer
10 Year Member!
Platinum Tortoise Club
Southern California
I think it looks great over all, but I see one major safety concern: Those water bowls are dangerous for tortoises, they either avoid them and don't drink, or they can flip in them and drown. Terra cotta plant saucers sunk into the substrate are more inviting to the tortoise and safer.

I also don't see a basking lamp or basking area. All the florescent lighting is fantastic, but where do they go to warm up?

Okinawan

Edmond, Oklahoma
Hi Tom,

To tell you the truth, I don't even like those preformed water dishes but bought it because I didn't know any better. I even was begrudging the fact I had to have the sides shored up so that they can drink from all sides but have since removed it and replaced with 2 Terra Cotta dishes at 2 locations in the enclosure. I also have 2 basking areas, you just can't see them in the pics I took.

Tidgy's Dad

5 Year Member
Fes, Morocco
Hello, and a very warm welcome to Tortoise Forum to you and your beautiful tortoises.:)
Lovely set-up. Superb job.

PJay

5 Year Member
Virginia
Nice looking tortoises and habitat from an out of state Okie! Never heard of Uchinanchu before, thanks for the education. I know some Naichi who relocated to this area from Hawaii.
Yōkoso!

Pearly

5 Year Member
Central Texas, Austin area
Hi, welcome to the Big Happy Family of Tort Fanatics! I'm in just South of you, Austin area, TX. My reason for insanity is a couple of the Redfooted... got them for my daughter but ended up doing most work/research myself. Absolutely LOVE your enclosure!!!!! I want one like that!!!! But no handy skills here, so mine is just 40 gal tank which has been perfect for the first year of providing all that humid heat. Your torts are gorgeous!!!! Enjoy them and enjoy this forum. I haven't been active last few months due to work craziness but just couldn't wait to get back! We'd love to see more and more pics from you so yes, please get that camera out. Again, warm welcome to you and your lovely torts

Okinawan

Edmond, Oklahoma
Tidgy's Dad thanks! It's never ending journey to keep improving it

PJay Yokoso! I'm originally from Okinawa, tiny tiny island in the South Pacific off the southern most island of Kyushu Japan...How did I become an Okie is rather a long story but my Father was in the military, and I guess that makes me a military Brat. OklAhoma has been good to me but hope to make it down south or west so I can keep an Aldabra!

Pearly thanks for the nice comments, love the Austin area, wish my job was there!

yillt

Wow. Amazing enclosure and nice group of Hermans. Do you have an outdoor enclosure planned for the warmer months?

Okinawan

Edmond, Oklahoma
Thanks yillt! I have something planned in my head already for their outdoor enclosure, just need to buy the material and get going on it. If I could, I would just leave them outside but it just gets too cold here in Oklahoma.