Marginated Predators

sbwalker5

Location (City and/or State)
Sheffield, UK
Hi all.
My yearling marginated is currently only about 3 inches long, and am looking at getting a permanent outdoor enclosure ready for next summer. I live in the UK.

I was thinking that it would need to be predator-proof with a lid of wire mesh or something whilst he is still small, but with the option of removing any lid when he is full grown.

However, I have just heard recently that our next door neighbours keep chickens, and that some of them have been killed by foxes before! (I'll have to ask them to confirm this). If there are foxes in the area (we also get a lot of cats roaming our back garden), would Douglas' enclosure need to be predator-proof for life? Or would foxes not be interested in him, when he's fully grown (around 12-14 inches)?

What are people's experiences with these issues? Obviously his safety is the upmost priority, but it would be a bit more unsightly to have a covered enclosure... I always envinsioned having a nice attractive 'mini garden' for him, but this might not be possible!

Any feedback is much appreciated

Thanks

kathyth

10 Year Member!
Beaumont, CA.
Tortoises in general have plenty of predators, most especially as youngsters.
I think a fox would be capable of hurting your tortoise.
I don't have a marginated but my tortoise enclosures are predator proof and oversized so they can grow into the enclosure.
I'm thinking if you have fox, you have everything, wild animal wise.
Others will respond.
image.jpg

sbwalker5

Sheffield, UK
That's great @kathyth, thanks!
Love that enclosure, it doesn't look unattractive at all - something I'd be worrying about! May I ask how you made it?