Michigan tortoise

JoshuaL

Location (City and/or State)
Chelsea michigan
Hello I’m from Michigan and am not too sure what kind of tortoise to get if any is even possible to thrive here I was thinking about a sulcata despite the size but I think because of all of the things I will need to do to keep it healthy and happy it just won’t be possible where I am so I was wondering if there are any species of tortoise that can thrive even if the temp isn’t super high although I can still take the tortoise inside over the winter or if it’s too cold that’s not a problem but if anyone who knows more then me can enlighten me that would be awesome, thank you.

Anastasia 22

Texas
I love all tortoises but "Russians" are my weakness. I had a Russian boy for 18 years in Siberia (not the hottest place in the world) and now I have another Russian in Texas.

wellington

10 Year Member!
Tortoise Club
Chicago, Illinois, USA
Depends on what you can do. Takes more money and room in Michigan than the warmer states for bigger species,but it can and is done by many. Even the warmer states have to give winter heat and shelter, just not as long or as cold and snowy.
I'm in Chicago and have 2 leopards and a Russian.
They live outside in a heated shed for winter and outside in summer with access to the shed for nights.
If you don't have the room or means then a smaller species like a Russian or Hermanns would be best. But keep in mind, they still need no smaller than a 4x8 for inside and at least that size outside but hopefully bigger.