Mercury Vapor Bulbs

Status
Not open for further replies.

socialworker81

5 Year Member
I finally decided to switch to a MVB. I thought maybe it would cut down on the electricity bill here, though I doubt it. At least I thought one single light might be better than two. Can anyone tell me where to get a UV meter and how much they are? This way I know the light is working correctly and when to change it. I also want to make sure it is not too close or far away... What is the correct output for Russian's? Thanks!

wellington

10 Year Member!
Tortoise Club
Location (City and/or State)
Chicago, Illinois, USA
I don't think there are any cheap ones. Like a couple hundred I think. If you get a temp gun, between like 30-60 dollars, you will be able to shoot the temp under the light and know if you need to lower it or raise it. As far as the uv lasting. If they get outside in warm temps, they don't need the MVB on for those months. So what I am doing is keeping track of how many months I actually have it on for. Then when that total number equals one year, I will replace. However, this is with my tort getting outside every day, for 9 hours a day when the temps are right. Which this year, we had hot days early.

socialworker81

5 Year Member
I do have a digital thermometer, but I bet a heat gun might be more accurate. I always seem to have trouble with the ones I buy at the pet store. Thanks for the tip on the UV, guess I won't be buying a meter anytime soon! I will have to calculate it the old fashion way :)

socialworker81

5 Year Member
One more question... I replaced the bulbs this morning. I tried to place them approximately 2 feet away, according to the instructions. However, the basking area is only 84 degrees. Can I move it down, or does anyone use other heat sources along with these bulbs? Thanks again!

CLMoss

5 Year Member
Location (City and/or State)
Brooklyn, New York
I lower the bulb down when the room temp is cool and check the temp in their basking area. Also, I was told to replace the Mercury Vapor Bulb in six months...

Status
Not open for further replies.