Mealss

Status
Not open for further replies.

TaraTort

5 Year Member
I have a russian tort and right now i feed him twice a day, one at around 12 and again later, around 5ish

Should i feed him 3 times a day as in like breakfast lunch and tea, and around what times? bcuz i dnt want to leave her without food for too long tht shes rly hungry nd i was just thinking tht i might need to feed her 3 times a day

Any help or advice would be appreciated

Isa

10 Year Member!
Location (City and/or State)
Montreal, QC, Canada
My Hermann is about 3 years old and I feed him twice a day. When he wakes up around 6h30-7AM and when I get home from work around 6PM.
The first meal I give him is much bigger than the snack I give him at night.

Yvonne G

Old Timer
TFO Admin
10 Year Member!
Platinum Tortoise Club
Clovis, CA
If your Russian tortoise is a full grown animal, once a day is fine. The more important aspect to the feeding question would be exercise. They need plenty of exercise in order to not get too fat. So make him the largest habitat you can and feed him opposite his hiding place. Better yet...make him an outdoor habitat and get him outside on sunny days.

Yvonne

tortoisenerd

5 Year Member
Washington
I think once a day is fine, twice a day if the amount of food each time isn't too much and it's a hatchling. Some here even recommend to feed every other or every third day! I agree with Yvonne that exercise is very important, as is food amount, variety, and the tort's size/weight. Do you track your tort's growth each week or month? How can you tell your tort is hungry and wants to be fed more? I would think if the tort is truly hungry and could use the extra food it wouldn't matter if you feed more each meal or add in another meal time. I would just be cautious feeding more than you already do, because that can lead to a quick weight gain without a lot of space to roam. Russians are notorious to being little piggies and always wanting more food, eventually leading to chubbiness. In the wild they only get food a few months out of the year and spend the rest of the time hibernating. They learn to gorge when food is available, which is however often it is offered in captivity. Even if your tortoise is pacing around where it gets fed, I would be wary of feeding it more than it is used to if it is having nice steady weight gain (growing tort) or is already a good weight (adult tort). I started feeding my tort a little more when he looked hungry and he started to look a bit chubby so I cut back to what I was doing before that. He doesn't seem to be deprived. If it's a day I see him walking around a lot more I may give him a snack besides him morning meal, or else I don't. Best wishes. Let us know if we can clarify anything. Of course this is just my opinion!

Status
Not open for further replies.