Mazuri & Greeks

Status
Not open for further replies.

Sudhira

5 Year Member
Okie doke, I am reading a lot about this Mazuri stuff. Seems as though one buys it in large quantities. Our Greek is eating greens and weeds just fine. Should I also incorporate Mazuri, or leave well enough alone?

Again, thanks!

Crazy1

10 Year Member!
Location (City and/or State)
Inland Empire, CA
Sudhira there are different thoughts on this.
1) Some keepers feel by adding Mazuri it works as a supplement so it provides additional vits, minerals, etc.
2) Others feel that their torts do not need the additional supplements in a commercial food pellet. That they can give them the supplements like Calcium, TNT, etc.
3) Still others feel that they can feed their torts Mazuri and supplement it with greens and that will work well.
4) And I am sure there is some ways I haven't thought or heard of yet.

Ah so many many different theorys. Which is right? Which works for your tort?
I decided to go with the later question Which works for MY Torts.
Actually I feel any of the three could work. But I personally like my Greeks to eat greens and have not attemted the use Mazuri and use greens as a supplement experiment yet. And am not sure I ever will. I do add a pellet or two to my Greeks greens every so often but I feed it with greens to my DTs as they seem to love it and it helps them pick up wt. My Greeks don't seem to crazy for it, so most is let behind.
It can be bought on line in a much smaller quantity. Also Zoo Med now has a Grassland Tortoise diet that after reading the ingredients I would consider using as well though it is somewhat pricey in MHO. But can be obtained in a small jar. if you have only one greek and you would like to try it.
Oh and my Dogs love the stuff. I actually have started giveing one pellet dry as a treat. Lo protien, low calories, high fiber, and only a small amount. Can't think of a greater treat for my dog. :D

S

stells

If your tortoise is doing well on what you feed already... growing smoothly... and healthy.... i would stick with that.... i haven't tried pellets with any of my tortoises.... apart from the Indian star who has them once per week....

If it ain't broke... don't fix it....

Sudhira

5 Year Member
Thanks for the information. I did purchase some of the ZooMed stuff, which the little guy turns his nose up at. He is a vigorous eater for all the fresh foods, I will just keep going with that. It just seems that there is SO much varied information, and I just want to do right by this lil guy!

Crazy1

10 Year Member!
Inland Empire, CA
I think that is the biggest difficulty is that people are still experimenting with how to raise a tort and what is best for each species. I take a bit of info here and a bit there and watch the tort and see what works best for it. It actually tells you by it's actions. Plus I think it is what they start out on that helps make the difference. I have heard by a relilable source that Greeks don't digest the silica in grasses well and most of the pelleted food has Grasses as a main ingredient. I think that is why our Greeks don't seem to take to it as well as other species. JMHO.

Yvonne G

Old Timer
TFO Admin
10 Year Member!
Platinum Tortoise Club
Clovis, CA
I think its always a good idea to get your tortoise used to eating packaged foods or hay in case there ever comes a time when there isn't any produce or grazing available to the animal. I feed those of mine that will eat it, Mazuri once a week. They have now developed a taste for it and I'm assured that if their pasture dries up and goes away, I can still find a good nutritious food for them.

Yvonne

trickkykidd

5 Year Member
I feed a mix variety of stuff to my greek including ZM Grassland + RepCal pellets. At first he wouldnt eat the ZM and he definately prefers fresh greens if given the choice but after acclimating him to the mixed diet he eats all pretty well and it gives me more options.

Status
Not open for further replies.