Baby sulcata not liking Mazuri

JoshSloane

Hi Everyone,

All is going well with my new baby sulcata. He has settled in nicely to his new home that I built, and his temps and humidity are all within acceptable parameters offered by the forum. He has been eating with gusto, everything except the mazuri pellets. He has been chomping down dandelion weeds, kale, collard greens, mustard greens and spring mix every day, but it seems that he isn't really into the mazuri. I soak it a bit in warm water for him beforehand as well.

Is his lack of interest in mazuri concerning? As he is so small it is hard to tell if he is nibbling on the mazuri or not, but it seems that he much prefers the greens and weeds everyday. I have tried adding in finely chopped wheat grass, but he doesn't seem to care for it.
Thanks for the help!

dmmj

The member formerly known as captain awesome
10 Year Member!
Location (City and/or State)
CA
no concern really. Not every single tortoise likes it most do but not all. I wouldn't worry about it.

Jodie

5 Year Member
Spokane Valley WA
I wouldn't worry about either. I would continue offering it and grass mixed in with the greens though. The larger the variety of food they will eat the better.

Tom

The Dog Trainer
10 Year Member!
Platinum Tortoise Club
Southern California
Most tortoises do not like new and novel foods that they are not familiar with.

I would continue mixing int he grass daily or close to it, and I would soak a single Mazuri pellet and mush it up with the greens of the day twice a week. In time your tortoise will get used to both and see both as "food".

JoshSloane

Thanks for all the replies everyone! I will definitely keep offering it mashed up with greens here and there. Glad to hear it isn't an issue.