Mazuri for the first time

katfinlou

5 Year Member
Im in the UK and I got it from ebay. Someone on this forum sells it too, although i will have to look for the thread for his name. It's a dry food that you soak in water, which is apparently better than the colourful Komodo pellets that are sold in pet shops here. Ideal when you run out of fresh greens and need an emergency feed lol

ZEROPILOT

REDFOOT WRANGLER
Tortoise Club
5 Year Member
Platinum Tortoise Club
Location (City and/or State)
South Eastern Florida (U.S.A.)/Rock Hill S.C.
The colorful pellets sold here are too sugary. Even harmful. I wouldn't buy them at ANY price. Far from being an emergency food. Mazuri is part of the staple diet.

katfinlou

5 Year Member
The colorful pellets sold here are too sugary. Even harmful. I wouldn't buy them at ANY price. Far from being an emergency food. Mazuri is part of the staple diet.
Really? I didn't know that! So I dont need to feel guilty feeding it to her now :)

ZEROPILOT

REDFOOT WRANGLER
Tortoise Club
5 Year Member
Platinum Tortoise Club
Really? I didn't know that! So I dont need to feel guilty feeding it to her now :)[/QUOTE) Feed it in moderation. Wet it and mix it with food. Mine are Red Foot and they need a bit more protein. Still, it makes about 10-25% of their daily meal. Less if I have wild plants also available.

katfinlou

5 Year Member
Because my garden is either frozen or mush im having to use supermarket greens, she still enjoys them along with the Mazuri, but that always goes first. Should I be chopping the greens smaller and mixing it with the mazuri?

ZEROPILOT

REDFOOT WRANGLER
Tortoise Club
5 Year Member
Platinum Tortoise Club
I started the weaning off of Mazuri (I made the mistake of giving it to them daily by its self and they got "hooked") by mixing up Mazuri, vitamins and greens in a small food processor I purchased just for that reason and ground everything up into something like peanut butter. Or really thick baby food. It worked. Now they eat what's on the plate. Some Mazuri. Some whatever...

stojanovski92113

Tortoise Club
In my opinion mix the mazuri with greens finely chopped up. I also gave mazuri straight up & my tortoises were in TORTOISE HEAVEN!! My torts were never picky eaters, I'm still struggling to get them to eat their regular greens, even friut! I am only feeding mazuri once a week now. But they still refuse to eat some days and other days was straight refusal if greens were offered. I read that many people give mazuri to their torts and I will still continue to give it to them just mixed with other food. I would be mad if someone took away something I loved so much!

katfinlou

5 Year Member
I think im pretty lucky with Belle. I swear as soon as she hears me in the fridge getting the bag of leaves out she sprints down to the slate ready for what delights i bring her. If I sat on that slate im sure she'd eat me too lol! Ive been through the not eating with her when she was laying eggs and it was very worrying for me. It's lovely to see her devouring her food now :)