Map or Cooter ID?

TxTortMan

5 Year Member
Hello Tortoise Forum (even though I’m in the turtle section) I haven’t been very active in recent years mainly due to college and being very busy. But I still have all my turtles and tortoises. As the subject suggests I need some help identifying this turtle. I found a man who claimed to be selling a Texas Map but looking at his pictures I had my doubts, but I went ahead and purchased the turtle from him anyway. The turtle is definitely missing the classic 3 circles under his chin like a Texas Map should have. But now the question is, what is it? Anyone more familiar with maps and possibly river cooters, which is what I think also could be the answer, please send some knowledge my way! Thank you!

Attachments

• unnamed (1).jpg
    unnamed (1).jpg
    25.9 KB · Views: 18
  • unnamed (2).jpg
    unnamed (2).jpg
    18.3 KB · Views: 19
  • unnamed (3).jpg
    unnamed (3).jpg
    28.9 KB · Views: 19
  • unnamed (4) cropped.jpg
    unnamed (4) cropped.jpg
    45.9 KB · Views: 19
  • unnamed (5).jpg
    unnamed (5).jpg
    16.8 KB · Views: 17
  • unnamed.jpg
    unnamed.jpg
    30 KB · Views: 17

zovick

10 Year Member!
Looks like what I have seen called a Texas Slider. Also looks like a regular River Cooter. Do you know where it originated?

Anthony P

10 Year Member!
Location (City and/or State)
Swamps, bogs, and vernal pools
Thanks for the shout out, @wellington!

This is a Texas Cooter, Psuedemys cocinna texana. Identified by the plastral markings, bar across the eyes, shape of the chin and shell, and markings on the chin.

Check to make sure you are not breaking the law if you try to purchase this turtle from someone in Texas. many Texas turtles are on what they call the "black list," I believe.