Males do make a difference in quality of hatchlings

allegraf

10 Year Member!
Thanks to @cdmay for the pictures. Here is Bonita when she was younger.
Big difference in 2015 vs. 2016 clutch colors from that female. I've never seen marbling like that before, it makes her quite cryptic in that mulch...
Here are some pics of Bonita when she was much younger. Thank you @cdmay for the pics. Still one of the most amazingly marbled one's I've seen. As she matured, the marbled has become more muted. But now you can see why I am trying to find the right male for her. Pino may be it for the shell (he is the second tort in the back) but I think they would produce salmon colored babies.

Bonita and Pindo:

Bonita:

Redstrike

10 Year Member!
Location (City and/or State)
New York
Yeah, if you can get the right male I think that marbling and color combo could be deadly!

Kapidolo Farms

10 Year Member!
South of Southern California, but not Mexico
http://jhered.oxfordjournals.org/content/92/2/206.long

This paper is a really good review and aside from the citations being a visual annoyance, reads well and is a solid narrative.

I kept looking and find not a single paper to suggest that retained fertilized ova occur. This is driving me a bit nutz, but I also appreciate the kind nod to justify my apparently incorrect recall. I'm giving myself a weeee little break, and considering that a paper was published to the contrary, but failed to survive the further scrutiny of other investigators so has fallen out of bibliographies.

Lots of great images in this thread. It's Friday, I think I'll have a beer.

cdmay

10 Year Member!
Somewhere in Florida
http://jhered.oxfordjournals.org/content/92/2/206.long

This paper is a really good review and aside from the citations being a visual annoyance, reads well and is a solid narrative.

I kept looking and find not a single paper to suggest that retained fertilized ova occur. This is driving me a bit nutz, but I also appreciate the kind nod to justify my apparently incorrect recall. I'm giving myself a weeee little break, and considering that a paper was published to the contrary, but failed to survive the further scrutiny of other investigators so has fallen out of bibliographies.

Lots of great images in this thread. It's Friday, I think I'll have a beer.

I'm at my favorite pub with my wife right now. As far as I'm concerned, female tortoises retain fertilized baby weiner dogs!
No worries. We all post odd stuff now and again.

Redfoot NERD

10 Year Member!
Tennessee
I'm at my favorite pub with my wife right now. As far as I'm concerned, female tortoises retain fertilized baby weiner dogs!
No worries. We all post odd stuff now and again.

YOUR BEST POST EVER CARL!!! I'M LAFFING IN TEARS!!!!!
what do scientists know?