Male Sulcata Needs Forever Home

Maggie3fan

5 Year Member
Location (City and/or State)
PacificNorthWest
He would live in our home we have a pretty good size first floor footprint. We do have dogs and I didn’t know , being a novice, that this is not good for tortoises. I will research further. I am not getting a tortoise to sell , that is repulsive… I also would drive to pick up any tortoise or
Arrange for the best transport . My family and I are huge animal lovers . What is best for Phil is all that matters . I agree that for about 5 months he would have to be indoors but warm obviously and with 50 % humidity
It's not that most dogs are mean, it's just the opposite, turtles and tortoises are play things for dogs, only the dog chewing on them kinda causes seriously injures and in some cases causes death. My experiences in the rescue goes back almost 20 years and a good part of that time has been/is spent on TFO, and I cannot tell you the tragedy that we have heard about dogs and tortoises. My sister and I have been involved for a lot of years and as a matter of fact I have had a California desert tortoise who had her leg chewed off by the family dog .Currently in my possession now I have one box turtle who was chewed on by a dog, her carapace is scarred and part of it is missing and the other one just has a big tooth hole. Don't mix tortoises and dogs, I don't care how well mannered your dogs are, I don't care how how much they are trained and obedient... when it comes to turtles and tortoises you cannot trust them. I said I had a California desert tortoise whose leg was chewed OFF by the family dog. The desert tortoise and the dog had lived together for almost 20 years, whatever made the dog decide to chew off that tortoises leg that day we don't know but come on...Don't mix tortoises and dogs.

Chefdenoel10

Tortoise Club
5 Year Member
Location (City and/or State)
New Jersey
I was always told adults need 40-60% humidity, a cool spot in the 70s and a warm basking spot in the 90s/100s. That’s what we do. Phil likes to sleep in hay and around 80, and bask at about 110. Alabama humidity is great for him in the summer, but we run a humidifier in the winter…
Basking at 110 degrees????? 😱
Just be careful his shell doesn’t get burned or show signs of cracking or peeling and dehydration… 😊