Male Sulcata Needs Forever Home

Severnbl

Location (City and/or State)
Huntsville, Alabama
Hi,

We rescued a male sulcata about 2.5 years ago. He was about 3, and didn’t even weigh one pound. We knew we couldn’t keep him long term but we took him in and in the time we’ve had him he’s gained over 20 pounds and is doing great. But he’s growing so fast and we just don’t have the room and setup he’ll need when he’s bigger. We’re in North Alabama. I’ve been looking for rescues or an experienced owner, but haven’t had luck yet. Anyone in the AL area looking for a friendly tort? He loves shell scratches and neck rubs.

Chefdenoel10

Tortoise Club
5 Year Member
New Jersey
Hi,

We rescued a male sulcata about 2.5 years ago. He was about 3, and didn’t even weigh one pound. We knew we couldn’t keep him long term but we took him in and in the time we’ve had him he’s gained over 20 pounds and is doing great. But he’s growing so fast and we just don’t have the room and setup he’ll need when he’s bigger. We’re in North Alabama. I’ve been looking for rescues or an experienced owner, but haven’t had luck yet. Anyone in the AL area looking for a friendly tort? He loves shell scratches and neck rubs.
Hi! Welcome!!
Glad you came on here. There has to be someone who will take him on this forum.
I am unfortunately in New Jersey and already have a “BIG” girl I can barley get help with. 🤕🤦‍♀️.
But!…..you came to the right place!
Just give it time and keep posting pictures, someone will respond!.
We are all good owners who care about the tortoises we keep so you will have no worries on finding a good forever home for him. I thank you with all of my heart for being his rescue team and for caring about his well-being.!
I wish you all the luck in the world in your search. Prayers and good vibes I am sending your way!! 🙋‍♀️
🙏🙏🙏🙏🙏🙏🙏🫶🫶🫶🫶🫶🫶🫶🥰🥰🥰🥰🥰🥰🥰🥰❤️❤️❤️❤️❤️❤️

Severnbl

Huntsville, Alabama
What are you asking for the tortoise?
I’m really not sure. We’re hoping not to have to ship him and stress him out. It would be great if someone could pick him up or be close enough by that we could deliver. I wasn’t sure if there was a price rule. We want to do a small fee so someone serious takes him in.

Altaman64

Michigan
Hi,

I would be interested, however I am a novice. I have never owned a tortoise. I read that Sulcatas are easy to care for. I also have 2 dogs and 2 cats

Severnbl

Huntsville, Alabama
I would be interested, however I am a novice. I have never owned a tortoise. I read that Sulcatas are easy to care for. I also have 2 dogs and 2 cats
Once you get the humidity/temps, soaking multiple times a week (we do every other day) and diet right, it’s mostly a space issue. Do you have enough land for him to safely roam and a shed or inside space to spend the winters?

Altaman64

Michigan
Once you get the humidity/temps, soaking multiple times a week (we do every other day) and diet right, it’s mostly a space issue. Do you have enough land for him to safely roam and a shed or inside space to spend the winters?
We have a 3500 sq ft home , our backyard has two levels , low level with a pool and upper level with flat gras , both levels are separated by a fence and the entire property is fenced in. I can do a video of the home and backyard. in the next 2 to 3 years we’re gonna be moving on more than an acre of land and having an even bigger home which will be a ranch.we have 3 children as well and we love all animals. We don’t even kill flys , I trap them and send them out. my youngest is 11 and my kids are always in our lives. On vacation we only use house sitters , I have never penned my
dogs… there is no limit to what we do for our pets…

Maggie3fan

5 Year Member
PacificNorthWest
The biggest thing is he goes to a good home with good people and care. We can probably waive a fee since this is about Phil (the tortoise) and not money. :)

We have a 3500 sq ft home , our backyard has two levels , low level with a pool and upper level with flat gras , both levels are separated by a fence and the entire property is fenced in. I can do a video of the home and backyard. in the next 2 to 3 years we’re gonna be moving on more than an acre of land and having an even bigger home which will be a ranch.we have 3 children as well and we love all animals. We don’t even kill flys , I trap them and send them out. my youngest is 11 and my kids are always in our lives. On vacation we only use house sitters , I have never penned my
dogs… there is no limit to what we do for our pets…
Ok computer operator error...just a question...who sexed this tortoise? I am no expert but he sounds to small to sex. And dogs and tortoises do not mix and why would anyone want to send a Savannah type animal who needs heat up to Michigan, a nice state but cold and snowy. Think about what is best for the tort please.

Severnbl

Huntsville, Alabama
Ok computer operator error...just a question...who sexed this tortoise? I am no expert but he sounds to small to sex. And dogs and tortoises do not mix and why would anyone want to send a Savannah type animal who needs heat up to Michigan, a nice state but cold and snowy. Think about what is best for the tort please.
We sexed him because we started getting flashed during soaks. this looks 100% male. 😂

Lyn W

5 Year Member
UK
The biggest thing is he goes to a good home with good people and care. We can probably waive a fee since this is about Phil (the tortoise) and not money. :)
Make sure you ask potential new owners lots of questions and for photos of how and where they'll keep him, and of any other torts they have.
Sadly there are some people who only join the forum to get free torts to sell on for profit, then they don't post again.
I hope you find him a lovey home.

Altaman64

Michigan
We sexed him because we started getting flashed during soaks. this looks 100% male. 😂
He would live in our home we have a pretty good size first floor footprint. We do have dogs and I didn’t know , being a novice, that this is not good for tortoises. I will research further. I am not getting a tortoise to sell , that is repulsive… I also would drive to pick up any tortoise or
Arrange for the best transport . My family and I are huge animal lovers . What is best for Phil is all that matters . I agree that for about 5 months he would have to be indoors but warm obviously and with 50 % humidity

Chefdenoel10

Tortoise Club
5 Year Member
New Jersey
He would live in our home we have a pretty good size first floor footprint. We do have dogs and I didn’t know , being a novice, that this is not good for tortoises. I will research further. I am not getting a tortoise to sell , that is repulsive… I also would drive to pick up any tortoise or
Arrange for the best transport . My family and I are huge animal lovers . What is best for Phil is all that matters . I agree that for about 5 months he would have to be indoors but warm obviously and with 50 % humidity
Wrong….😬
Sulcata need 85-93 degree weather
and lots of humidity. 80%….
But thanks for playing!!!!
Johnny?…
Let’s tell Altaman64 what he has won!!! 🤭🤣

Ok…ok …. All kidding aside..
They really DO need warmer temps in the 90s AND humid conditions..
They come from an arid region where it’s like a rain forest….and thrive in temps like THAT.
I am happy you are interested in his adoption but we here on the forum must set you up for success.
If I knew then.. what I know now….🙆‍♀️🤦‍♀️
We will get you Toms care sheet to avoid all of our mistakes and set you off on a great adventure with your new family member.❤️

Chefdenoel10

Tortoise Club
5 Year Member
New Jersey
Wrong….😬
Sulcata need 85-93 degree weather
and lots of humidity. 80%….
Johnny?…
Let’s tell Altaman64 what he has won!!! 🤭🤣

Ok…ok …. All kidding aside..
They really DO need warmer temps in the 90s AND humid conditions..
They come from an arid region where it’s like a rain forest….and thrive in temps like THAT.
I am happy you are interested in his adoption but we here on the forum must set you up for success.
If I knew then.. what I know now….🙆‍♀️🤦‍♀️
We will get you Toms care sheet to avoid all of our mistakes and set you off on a great adventure with your new family member.❤️

Wait!…. Who said all of that????.?!?!?!!?
Me?.. no way!..????
Ya mean I remember all 100 times Tom has drilled it in my brain what “Sulcata” s temps should be like???!??!!!!!????!
WTH??????…..😱
Wow!!! I am actually proud of MYSELF! 😂

Anyway, good luck 🍀👍

Severnbl

Huntsville, Alabama
Wait!…. Who said all of that????.?!?!?!!?
Me?.. no way!..????
Ya mean I remember all 100 times Tom has drilled it in my brain what “Sulcata” s temps should be like???!??!!!!!????!
WTH??????…..😱
Wow!!! I am actually proud of MYSELF! 😂

Anyway, good luck 🍀👍
I was always told adults need 40-60% humidity, a cool spot in the 70s and a warm basking spot in the 90s/100s. That’s what we do. Phil likes to sleep in hay and around 80, and bask at about 110. Alabama humidity is great for him in the summer, but we run a humidifier in the winter…

jeff kushner

North of Annapolis
"
Johnny?…
Let’s tell Altaman64 what he has won!!! 🤭🤣"

I'm beginning to realize that I should not take a big gulp of coffee, then flip on the Tortoise forum......said coffee often ends up on a rag, after wiping my monitor down................this comment did exactly that! LMAO

Severn, Good luck.................and listen to the guys here, they are smart as sh*t when it comes to this stuff! Generally, the information from 1968 that most pet shops tell folks(& we repeat it b/c we don't know better) has been eclipsed by new, more knowledgeable science-based care-information. You will not find a sharper group of caregivers than here, you won't find better care sheets than here.....and thank you for taking the time to care for the little guy!

Lastly but most important to me, kudo's to you as a person for putting him above "money". In a world where the mad dash to "more money" is amplified on every screen even as we see the destructive results, it's really refreshing to see someone forgo the "almighty dollar" to do the right thing!

jeff