Male Russian Tortoise

KaTheya

5 Year Member
Location (City and/or State)
Massachusetts
Forgot to post an introduction before asking questions around the forum. So I'm KaTheya and I live in Massachusetts with my russian tortoise Raphael aka Raffy. I got Raffy at petsmart a little over a week ago. So far I am still getting used to setting things up correctly for him and continuing today to get supplies for him. He is currently in a 40 gallon tank, but I realize he will need something much bigger soon.
This is how his tank looks, I plan on buying some sort of mulch because without spraying water constantly his humidity gets too low. (he's peeking out from the skull, if you can see, also he placed that skull that way I did not set it on him, so far hes been using it to hide, but he also uses his hut and the corners of the tank to burrow in)
20160229_101517.jpg

Texas Scott

Tortoise Club
5 Year Member
Platinum Tortoise Club
TX
I'm a new RT owner as well but I found that using the fine coconut coir substrate helps with keeping humidity between 50-60. It kinda looks like dirt.

Paul M Jones

Tortoise Club
5 Year Member
Point Pleasant, NJ and Jonesboro, GA
Hi and welcome. You can use cypress mulch and coco Coir 50/50 mixture and pour water in and saturate it. Also cover the entire opening of the tank including the lights. That will hold in the heat and moisture.

Attachments

• image.jpg
    image.jpg
    1.6 MB · Views: 11

KaTheya

5 Year Member
Massachusetts
Yeah ive been covering the humidity side with a sheet because I need to find some sort of clips to hold my lights. What kind of bulbs do you guys suggest?

Jodie

5 Year Member
Spokane Valley WA
Welcome to the forum. A MVB provides UVB and heat. It might be too hot in that size enclosure though. I would use the tube type. They put off very little heat. Then use a regular flood bulb for heat. You can choose the wattage that achieves the correct temps. Adult Russians do not need really high humidity. Orchid bark works really well for substrate, or coco husk fiber.
Check out the care guides in the Russian section. An outside enclosure is going to be ideal.

popeye tortoise

5 Year Member
Pennsylvania
Hi and welcome to the forum. Good luck with your new Russian. I have Donatella and Mikey, Grandkids named them.

Linhdan Nguyen

Maryland
HI! I'm new to tortoise raising as well! i like your set up so far. me & my boyfriend will be attempting to building a big tortoise table in a couple of months. to help with humidity, I was told, by my vet, to put sphagnum moss in the enclosure. This does need to be replaced every few weeks i believe she said or every month because of bacteria and you don't want it to mold.