MAKESHIFT OUTDOOR ENCLOSURES

Russianuncletwo

5 Year Member
With anyone with a Russian tortoise and interested in options while experimenting in outdoor enclosures, I'm starting a thread in the Russian Tortoise section of this forum.

Yvonne G

Old Timer
TFO Admin
10 Year Member!
Platinum Tortoise Club
Location (City and/or State)
Clovis, CA
Why not start it here in "enclosures?"

Russianuncletwo

5 Year Member
I'll take your advice and somewhat duplicate it and expand a bit here as well. This is also for the non handy (like me) who can not nail, screw, glue, etc. The corner fasteners are corner clamp/vices (that are just under $10) that allowed me to put this together. As I wrote in the other post, while the weather is still decent, I am sharing photos of a removable makeshift combo hide I put in on a whim along with other items in an also removable makeshift outdoor enclosure. My female Russian tortoise, the “grazer” as opposed to my male Russian tortoise, the “forager”, absolutely reacts to being taken here as a treat! (BTW, that’s a $2.89 Home Depot floor mat over a Petsmart reptile “half log”-they explore the 3 “tunnels”, burrow, climb, etc. with this combo of items, the popularity of which was totally unexpected; the overhang allows extra shade as well as a lookout while not being confined to a full hide.) I don’t leave them alone nor together in this enclosure without me hanging around as there is no cover. I am using this pen as my Luna was lost recently for 10 days and now I can leave them outside, alone or together, without having to watch them every second (only 3 seconds out of 5!!) I am considering making it significantly larger now that I see how easy and successful this is (though mine seem to like the security of smaller overall areas and get intimidated by large yards w/no visual barriers.) While still recuperating from a winter leg fracture, it is a miracle I was able to furnish my torts with all this.

Attachments

• hill1low.jpg
    hill1low.jpg
    83.5 KB · Views: 24
  • hill2low.jpg
    hill2low.jpg
    103.8 KB · Views: 24

Russianuncletwo

5 Year Member
Just to add, I inherited Luna (who I was a part in raising) last fall after the most devastating death of my life and recently acquired Jadely when I thought I was never going to see my missing precious Luna again or perhaps her scent would bring him back. Now I have two and am doing the best I can, hoping eventually perfection. The problem when two are together, one can’t keep track of which one is eating or not, which one is pooping or not, etc., so keeping them as individually as possible and working it all out slowly. He's my sensitive problem child (at times) who trusts me and has formed a bond. She hasn't formed a total bond yet but does everything the ideal Russian tortoise is supposed to and quite laid back about most of it.

Last edited: