'make do and mend'

Status
Not open for further replies.

katfinlou

5 Year Member
This is what I ordered, I remember viewing the one in your pic, ive obviously got mixed up between the two. Will order the right ones now, thanks for the help!! :) ImageUploadedByTortoise Forum1419373336.346663.jpg

katfinlou

5 Year Member
That's excellent, will definitely order some. Have you any experience with a thermostat for a ceramic heat emitter? It's getting rather chilly in the north east UK lately and im leaving the heat on at night but a thermostat is recommended. Again I just get bamboozled with all the choice and then when it starts mentioning watts etc my brain hurts lol

johnandjade

5 Year Member
Location (City and/or State)
scotland
im new to keeping torts so would really wanna advise in case its bad advice:/. we'r in scotland and have a heat mat on the lid of the hide section secured by glass, its on 27/7 just now seams to be working ok for us. the temp reading is ok on the one showen but have a temp gun to be sure, just need to get battery for it tomorow.

katfinlou

5 Year Member
Yeah so ive read and been advised here. Your table sounds very similar to mine. Im hoping to get an extension soon after a disastrous attempt to convert an old set of drawers into a bigger tortoise table...least said about that the better lol. Im getting there slowly but surely anyway and she seems happy enough so far... And if these eggs turn out to be good i will need to move house never mind get a bigger tort table lol :)

Maro2Bear

5 Year Member
Glenn Dale, Maryland, USA

katfinlou

5 Year Member
Where/how does it plug in? This is where my confusion lies, Im quite out of my depth with electrical stuff, it's way beyond my understanding. Would it be easier to use a black bulb and forget about the che?

johnandjade

5 Year Member
scotland
i'm guessin the CHE would plug into thermostat, then thermostat into wall socket. a probe would monitor temp and cut power or have a resister to control temp?

katfinlou

5 Year Member
ah that's cute, it's a amazing just how much they notice in their surroundings! My girl kept trying to bite the probe for the digital thermometer so ive had to remove it

katfinlou

5 Year Member
I read your thread with great interest. Sounds like you came by your tort table the same way I did-on pet shop advice. I could cry at the money ive wasted on the advice of my local 'expert' pet shop! My tort couldn't even fit through the hide hole, I had to take the arched front panel off completely and just leave the lid crudely jammed, so there is shade but she never uses it. She just digs herself down into the soil at night and seems happy enough with that...
Im hoping to make great improvements in the new year anyway money permitting!
That's a very handsome little guy yous have there, what a cutie!

johnandjade

5 Year Member
scotland
yeah it seams to be a common problem, but at least we'r aware now and can addapt. think its about £80 we have had to spend to bring table up to spec, the table is too small but will have to do for now. its scary how much conditions and care differ from the store advice! we've been lucky had scrap wood to use but thats ashame about hide door, could you maby saw out a bigger hole?

katfinlou

5 Year Member
I think pet shops will say anything to get us to buy their products. He even told me to feed my Hermanns cabbage and carrot and some apple and banana along with the Komodo pellets... Not a clue!!!
My tool kit consists of a pair of tweezers and a nail file im afraid lol. The extension looks a lot bigger, and I think my son is going to lend a hand getting it sorted once xmas is over with. I thank heavens every day that I found this forum, people have helped no end and have a seemingly endless supply of patience!! :)

johnandjade

5 Year Member
scotland
your spot on there! i cant thank the members on here enough. for all it would take for pet store to print off or even direct people to care sheets on here and cases like ours would be non existent. as you say, they just want the fast buck. hope you and your family have a fantastic Christmas and look forward to seeing the modifications to table, best of luck :)

Status
Not open for further replies.