Mahons' Redfoot

Status
Not open for further replies.

mahons

5 Year Member
Location (City and/or State)
England
Hey I'm Tom and i'll soon be getting a Redfoot tortoise, it'll be my first so I'm pretty inexperienced. It'll be a yearling, and I think a vivarium for the first few years will do, until I can move into a bigger room and then can make a tort-table. I'm pretty confused about how big the vivarium should be, the heating(how to heat it), the humidity, also UVB, I don't know if its nessecery for the tortoise to have UVB, I've heard its not but I want to have the best home possible. I've been searching for care sheets and I know the basics, sort of.

Tort14U

10 Year Member!
Camano Island,WA
I would suggest one of them large rubbermaid totes. I would advise a UVB/UVA 75 watt bulb with a ceramic hood as they will get hot. Also you need to create micro climents so the Tort can get into his hot area as well as a good cool down area. Make sure he has a hide to sleep in. Fresh foodies as recommended from the list. Make sure you are willing to give a forever home as well. They live a very long time.

Yvonne G

Old Timer
TFO Admin
10 Year Member!
Platinum Tortoise Club
Clovis, CA
Hi Tom:

With a redfoot tortoise, a warm side/cool side isn't as important as it is with other types of tortoise. Its ok to have a steady 80 degrees or so all across the whole habitat.

mahons

5 Year Member
England
Does anyone know the growth rate for a redfoot? How big is a yearling going to be and how big will it get within a couple of years?

Status
Not open for further replies.